Intermittent humming/clicking on 2019

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

37ford

Reaction score
Recently, my 2019 4x4 Limited Expedition started making a humming noise that really sounds like the roar of a more aggressive tire, but the sound is not consistent. It's actually louder inside the cabin with the windows up, and I can't hear it at all the windows rolled down. Braking seems to make it worse, but I haven't noticed a complete pattern. I took it out last night to try to troubleshoot, and I didn't hear anything. Tonight, it very noticeable and pretty steady. It’s most noticeable at 20-40 mph.

I did put new tires on about 5000 miles ago, but, as I said, there isn't any road noise with the windows down. The hum does decrease as I come to a stop.

I checked the brakes, and they look perfect. The hub bearings don’t have any noticeable play, but the hub to CV has what seems to be a lot of play. Maybe that’s normal. They are the same on both sides, FWIW. I rotated the tires while I was at it. It still makes the noise.

It’s hard to fully diagnose the hubs with the CV attached, but it seemed fine. I’m not even sure where the noise is coming from. My wife hears it, so I know it’s not normal or minor.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M Bennett