Hypermiling the 3.5.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So today I used MAF cleaner spray on my sensor (what is that thing called again?) which was indeed dirty. I also used two cans of CRC intake valve cleaner spray. I sprayed it into my intake according to the instructions downstream from my sensor. (Is it an actual MAF sensor?) while my friend kept the RPM’s right at 2k. Shut it off when can was empty. Let it sit an hour, and then drove it on the interstate at 36 mph for an hour emoji6.png then came home. Here’s to hoping it did something to clean the valves...and maybe increase my mileage a little more...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

LOL

J Ski

3.5plati
Reaction score
Yeah I know a catch can is in my future. I did a ton of research and found out sea foam and the like are also no bueno. I have no idea what the CRC will or won’t do, but Truck has had full synthetic since new based on records from previous owners and I’ve been also running full synthetic since my purchase at 60,000 miles. So far so good. I’ll stop spraying stuff down there and try to get a catch can installed ASAP. Thanks for the heads up on the MAP. I know my previous truck had a MAF sensor but these ecoboosts have MAP’s. Interesting.

Check out JLT performance for a catch can. Top notch and won’t break the bank like a UPR which is $400. JLT $130 something

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
So today I used MAF cleaner spray on my sensor (what is that thing called again?) which was indeed dirty. I also used two cans of CRC intake valve cleaner spray. I sprayed it into my intake according to the instructions downstream from my sensor. (Is it an actual MAF sensor?) while my friend kept the RPM’s right at 2k. Shut it off when can was empty. Let it sit an hour, and then drove it on the interstate at 36 mph for an hour [emoji6] then came home. Here’s to hoping it did something to clean the valves...and maybe increase my mileage a little more...

Ford TSB advises against spraying cleaners into ECOboost engines. Expedition Andy is right about low fuel and fuel pump heat. Not to mention, you could be pulling up crap from bottom of the tank. Way to go! Your saving gas!

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Gents,

Be VERY careful what you spray INTO your engines....if you choose to clean a sensor, that's always commendable but remove it from your truck, clean and reinstall....nearly EVERY spray that you spray....MAF cleaner, CARB cleaner, *.* cleaner...you get the idea...will strip oil away instantly from the surfaces of everything they touch......that's what they are designed to do and some are very good at it. Also, as some of you know, the MAF's require a special cleaner due to their construction, using the wrong chemicals can wreck havoc on some.

FYI

jeff

OP
OP
Muddy Bean

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just to try to counteract some of the misinformation here: Ford has TSB’s concerning induction services specifically because of “some” cases of turbo seal failures due to turbos getting hot during induction services. Two things to note here...

1. There have been a ton of successful induction services that never reported any issues even years later, so there’s no data that suggests this is a for sure occurrence with every induction service.

2. I specifically chose the CRC because they designed it for the ecoboost engines. The specifically tell you do NOT exceed 3500 rpm during the service and keep it at 2000 rpm. This could likely be the difference between cooking or not cooking the turbos. Yes I’ve read the TSB and yes I’ve read the few horror stories of ecoboost induction treatment failures and yes I’ve watched practically all of Maculoko’s videos....and I did it anyway in a controlled manner without raising rpms high and following their instructions to a “T”. If I cooked my turbo seals, I’ll be happy to report back on here so I can be sure to save the ecoboost masses from following suit. I don’t perceive this will happen. Now that I’ve said this, I spent some time looking through your other posts on this site RJDELP7 and realized that you’re not rude only to me, it seems you’re an equal opportunity jerk to others on here, so I will refrain from engaging with you and let you flame out all by yourself. After all, that’s what the ignore feature is for...first time I’ve actually had to employ it.

Note, JSKI, none of my response is directed at you. You’ve been fun to banter with on other threads and actually offer respect and good info.

So back to the original point of my thread... my next experiments will be to perform a new hypermile test with my side mirrors folded in, my roof rack removed, and my running boards deployed because maybe they will provide lift, thus making the truck lighter, and thus saving gas. And after that, I’m going to install an HHO system on the engine which should net me another 12 mpg.

Actually if you want to read something fun, I’ll be borrowing my best friends Prius today and tomorrow for some long distance stretches. I’ll be seeing what numbers I can squeeze out of it and report back here just to keep things interesting [emoji6]

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We're good Muddy....I was just responding to the multi posts on sprays....not yours specifically.....and RJ....yeah, well...we're glad he's here and he's "very entertaining"!

Happy mom?

jeff

J Ski

3.5plati
Reaction score
Just to try to counteract some of the misinformation here: Ford has TSB’s concerning induction services specifically because of “some” cases of turbo seal failures due to turbos getting hot during induction services. Two things to note here...

1. There have been a ton of successful induction services that never reported any issues even years later, so there’s no data that suggests this is a for sure occurrence with every induction service.

2. I specifically chose the CRC because they designed it for the ecoboost engines. The specifically tell you do NOT exceed 3500 rpm during the service and keep it at 2000 rpm. This could likely be the difference between cooking or not cooking the turbos. Yes I’ve read the TSB and yes I’ve read the few horror stories of ecoboost induction treatment failures and yes I’ve watched practically all of Maculoko’s videos....and I did it anyway in a controlled manner without raising rpms high and following their instructions to a “T”. If I cooked my turbo seals, I’ll be happy to report back on here so I can be sure to save the ecoboost masses from following suit. I don’t perceive this will happen. Now that I’ve said this, I spent some time looking through your other posts on this site RJDELP7 and realized that you’re not rude only to me, it seems you’re an equal opportunity jerk to others on here, so I will refrain from engaging with you and let you flame out all by yourself. After all, that’s what the ignore feature is for...first time I’ve actually had to employ it.

Note, JSKI, none of my response is directed at you. You’ve been fun to banter with on other threads and actually offer respect and good info.

So back to the original point of my thread... my next experiments will be to perform a new hypermile test with my side mirrors folded in, my roof rack removed, and my running boards deployed because maybe they will provide lift, thus making the truck lighter, and thus saving gas. And after that, I’m going to install an HHO system on the engine which should net me another 12 mpg.

Actually if you want to read something fun, I’ll be borrowing my best friends Prius today and tomorrow for some long distance stretches. I’ll be seeing what numbers I can squeeze out of it and report back here just to keep things interesting [emoji6]

It’s all good! Like I said they r hit or miss. Hopefully you get good results and as long as you follow instructions I’m sure you will be fine.

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Some of the stuff being thrown around in here is absolutely ridiculous. Don’t go lower than a quarter of a tank seriously. That’s BS. Only reason not to go lower than a quarter of a tank is if you’re a prepper or drive a diesel with high pressure pumps. And Andy is wrong. Naturally the fuel pump being submerged in fuel will help with cooling but that is just a byproduct of the pump being in the tank. The pump is cooled by fuel flowing through it plain and simple. That’s how they were designed. The pickup and filter sit on the bottom of the tank so you can run it well below 1/4 and it’s perfectly fine.

I run my tank down under a quarter every tank and I bet anyone on here the dollar value of my truck that the fuel pump will last just as long as you guys that drive these things around paranoid

Edit: Muddy is a tool

Last edited:
OP
OP
Muddy Bean

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I do wonder if these pumps are fine running the tank low. Someone should take a fuel pump and see how long it runs not submerged in fuel just pumping it. I’m curious. I’ve never ever in 20 years of driving (and the past 10 I’ve driven 45,000 miles a year) lost a fuel pump and I can tell you I’ve run on fumes many many times.

That being said, I have interacted with Andy a lot since I’ve bought some things from him and he’s a really really nice guy. Genuinely nice and polite...actually most of you guys are great here...with just a couple of odd exceptions lol.

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That being said, I have interacted with Andy a lot since I’ve bought some things from him and he’s a really really nice guy. Genuinely nice and polite...actually most of you guys are great here...with just a couple of odd exceptions lol.

HUH!!!??? Where in this thread did Andy's character come into question???????????????????????????????????????? Nobody said anything about Andy not being a nice guy

Just because someone is nice doesn't mean theyre always right

This thread has officially gone off the rails. Later