Hypermiling the 3.5.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
He didn’t attempt in heavy traffic, he waited for a morning where it was safe to do so.
Yeah right. No other cars or trucks on the road...I doubt it. I have had my cruise set a 71 and come up behind some jerk going 55. It is dangerous. Most states it is illegal to go 5 under the speed limit.

OP
OP
Muddy Bean

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wow man. I see some Xanax in your future. I drive through almost every single state in the United States every year and they have these cool little speed limit signs at highway entrances that say “minimum speed 55mph” or “minimum speed 45mph”. Glad you’re not in law enforcement considering you seem to make up your own laws to determine what is and isn’t illegal. And you cloned yourself to be my passenger and determine how many or how few other vehicles were on the road with me? You live in New York. Get out of your state centric mindset and realize there is a world outside of NY....in Indiana, there are so many roads that are empty in the morning or on weekends it would astonish you. Please do find the laws stating it’s illegal to go 5 under the speed limit and post it here. Would be a great learning experience for all of us.

*shaking head

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Wow man. I see some Xanax in your future. I drive through almost every single state in the United States every year and they have these cool little speed limit signs at highway entrances that say “minimum speed 55mph” or “minimum speed 45mph”. Glad you’re not in law enforcement considering you seem to make up your own laws to determine what is and isn’t illegal. And you cloned yourself to be my passenger and determine how many or how few other vehicles were on the road with me? You live in New York. Get out of your state centric mindset and realize there is a world outside of NY....in Indiana, there are so many roads that are empty in the morning or on weekends it would astonish you. Please do find the laws stating it’s illegal to go 5 under the speed limit and post it here. Would be a great learning experience for all of us.

*shaking head

There is Toyota Prius in your future. Hypermiling a Expedition, is about as stupid as it gets.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haven't tried this with the '16 expy yet, but the first is my '08 Mountaineer & the second is my '00 accord. Didn't run out in either of those pictures. But I did, and I hate this word, literally roll into a parking spot recently with the mountaineer. Tried to take it just a little too far that time.

Like I tell my wife, "There's plenty left."

View attachment 23759 View attachment 23760
The only comment is, fuel pumps are cooled by fuel. When you run the tank dry it will overheat the fuel pump and that will cause problems down the road. Granted if you only did it once in a while it wouldn't be a big deal but if you want fuel pump longevity, then don't let the tank go below 1/4 so that the pump stays submerged. That's what I do.

OP
OP
Muddy Bean

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So today I used MAF cleaner spray on my sensor (what is that thing called again?) which was indeed dirty. I also used two cans of CRC intake valve cleaner spray. I sprayed it into my intake according to the instructions downstream from my sensor. (Is it an actual MAF sensor?) while my friend kept the RPM’s right at 2k. Shut it off when can was empty. Let it sit an hour, and then drove it on the interstate at 36 mph for an hour [emoji6] then came home. Here’s to hoping it did something to clean the valves...and maybe increase my mileage a little more...

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The only comment is, fuel pumps are cooled by fuel. When you run the tank dry it will overheat the fuel pump and that will cause problems down the road. Granted if you only did it once in a while it wouldn't be a big deal but if you want fuel pump longevity, then don't let the tank go below 1/4 so that the pump stays submerged. That's what I do.

Actually, the pump is cooled by the fuel passing through the pump, not by being immersed in the fuel. And (here's the important part) the pump produces very little heat as it runs. The heat concern is not from the pump running, but is from certain parts failing or wearing out that require the pump to draw more amps (worn gears, clogged filter, etc.) That produces heat which in turn ruins the pump motor. Once the current required to operate the pump is at the damaging level, no amount of cooling will save it. It will fail....eventually.

J Ski

3.5plati
Reaction score
So today I used MAF cleaner spray on my sensor (what is that thing called again?) which was indeed dirty. I also used two cans of CRC intake valve cleaner spray. I sprayed it into my intake according to the instructions downstream from my sensor. (Is it an actual MAF sensor?) while my friend kept the RPM’s right at 2k. Shut it off when can was empty. Let it sit an hour, and then drove it on the interstate at 36 mph for an hour [emoji6] then came home. Here’s to hoping it did something to clean the valves...and maybe increase my mileage a little more...

Close, it’s a MAP (manifold absolute pressure) sensor and there are 3 of them, the dirtiest of which is on the intake manifold. Installing a catch can should keep this one clean as the can will catch what would normally pass over that sensor. And I’ve heard the intake valve cleaner is hit or miss. More misses from what I’ve read. Ive heard that spraying shit down there is no bueno. Honestly a passenger side catch can, full synthetic oil changes every 5000 miles, and keeping those MAPs clean should keep it runnin smoothly. Next oil change for me will be to full synthetic, plus I’ve just installed a catch can

OP
OP
Muddy Bean

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah I know a catch can is in my future. I did a ton of research and found out sea foam and the like are also no bueno. I have no idea what the CRC will or won’t do, but Truck has had full synthetic since new based on records from previous owners and I’ve been also running full synthetic since my purchase at 60,000 miles. So far so good. I’ll stop spraying stuff down there and try to get a catch can installed ASAP. Thanks for the heads up on the MAP. I know my previous truck had a MAF sensor but these ecoboosts have MAP’s. Interesting.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually, the pump is cooled by the fuel passing through the pump, not by being immersed in the fuel. And (here's the important part) the pump produces very little heat as it runs. The heat concern is not from the pump running, but is from certain parts failing or wearing out that require the pump to draw more amps (worn gears, clogged filter, etc.) That produces heat which in turn ruins the pump motor. Once the current required to operate the pump is at the damaging level, no amount of cooling will save it. It will fail....eventually.
Bob, that maybe true but it is also is cooled externally by the volume of fuel surrounding the pump and they work in conjunction. When you empty the tank there is no lubrication or cooling for the fuel pump and since doing it even once can severely damage the fuel pump why risk it?