I Need Help! Ignition Coil Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JDADAMS

Reaction score
I previously owned a 2001 Eddie Bauer Expedition and had continual ignition coil problems. My mechanic said that Expeditions were notorious for this problem. I am currently in the market for another used Expedition and am wondering if Ford has corrected this problem in later model Expeditions, and if so what year so that I can make an informed purchase?

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From reading around, it really only seemed to be a problem with the 1st gen Expeditions (97-02). Haven't really seen as many posts concerning the second or third gens.

Spades

Reaction score
Ive got an 03' and I always have coil problems in the rainy season and sitting parked all week. Its pretty much only a weekend car for the family. If I drive it every day it'll be fine though

Quevy50

Reaction score
2000 Expedition

Just replace my coils after 148,000 miles. Started missing a few weeks ago and was really bad under load. Replace all (8) coils last weeks and now runs stronger than ever. Purchased after market coils from Global on e-bay.

Good Luck.

backeddy

Reaction score
Just did my coils

Bought them from ebay as recommended on this site for about $100 bucks. Good deal and seem to work really good. When I was in there I decided to replace the spark plugs....Thats where it all went down hill! The first plug came out pretty easy but the second snapped off in the head. Was a little surprised to see the plug with threads come out but left the heat shield and ceramic in the head. So 6 of the eight broke off in the head!!! After a little research found out the Motorcraft 2 piece plugs do this a lot and you need the available extraction tool to get broken off pieces out of the head. Not having the time to wait for this tool to come in the mail I had the rig towed to my mechanic who removed them for $975.00........He replaced the plugs with a Champion 1 piece plug that isn't all that great. After a little research I have found that many people have had this issue and that several lawfirms are building class action suits around the spark plug issue. Live and learn...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jessiev