I need some help keeping my off-road lights "legal".

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98EXPY 5-0

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In my state, any roof mounted lights have to be covered while on the road. I'd like to be able to put some lights up there and not have to stop and get out to remove covers to use them. Are there any offroader tricks for this?

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
get a LED bar vs light bulbs...couple of ppl have them on here and have showed how bright they are to light up the area

Canadian Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
Some of the desert trucks used to use fold down light bars to cut down on wind resistance during the day, but I don't think that's the answer that you're looking for. I assume that you want to show those lights off during the day.

I guess that going with the blacked out lights mentioned above may fool the cops.

How often do you really use all of those lights?

splintrcel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If i were you i would prob want the covers on because they wouldnt get all scratched up from road debris so really having covers would keep them nice but Tonydiv does have a point, how often do you use them. On the topics of lights, what do you guys recommend for lights good for snow. I live in Wisconsin so i was thinking of getting a 4 pack of lights for the top rack for bad snow storms and what not. I am also a poor college kid so i am looking for something not to expensive but not some cheap light that will last one season. Any ideas? Btw, CanadianExpy, you prob need your lights cuz Canada only has like one road :p Just kidding. I couldn't help my self.

Last edited:

Canadian Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah we don't have lights on the one road to my igloo house :drool:
So I need alot of lights so I can see the polar bears walking around in the year long snow storms:smokin: