I picked up this programmer...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98EXPY 5-0

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was yard sale-ing with the wife and came across one set up with man things. Mostly old power tools. I bought a few things. One was a K&N Filter still in the plastic bag, and an older Superchips 1715 Microtuner. I assume it's the older model, because it doesn't say MAX on it like most of the pictures I've seen.

I'm not necessarily interested in increasing power, as my Expy is a work vehicle. If this thing were able to make some changes to increase my gas mileage or longevity of my motor and drivetrain, I might be interested.

I've done some reading on this tuner and it looks like back in 2003 or so, this was the hot item to have. Firmed up shifts, changing shift points, plus the 91 octane tune.

Whether it be with this tuner or another, does firming the shifts or changing the shift points cause the tranny to wear faster, or increase it's life, or neither?

I may just ebay it, but first I guess I better make sure it's not VIN locked. The guy I got it from said that he read that online and before he sold the truck (2003 F250) he returned it to stock. I haven't had a chance to plug it in and see whats up.

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
From what I have read, firming the shifts decreases heat produced in the transmission, because it lessens the slip that the tranny has built in from the factory in order to create that "soccer mom" ride. This will increase the life of the tranny in theory. I have read that before on this site, but would like someone to confirm.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you write superchips...better yet...call them...they will tell you if its VIN locked or has that capability...as long as the previous only registered it