I really like Expedition, but the terrible suspension is getting to me...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We have a Platinum Expy and my boss has the Navigator. We frequently jump back and forth between the two, and I can’t tell hardly any difference in ride between them. They are both 2020 models, but our ‘19’s were the same way. We are both running 22” Michelin Defenders.

The only time I notice ours having a floaty feeling is when going down side streets in town and hitting the dips. We had a ‘17 Tahoe Premier with 20’s, and I think the Expy rides just as good with 22’s.

Oh Those DIPS is where the CCD loses its mind unless its clicked into sport mode.

Grey ghost

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I found 4 blown shocks at 500 miles. Lived with it till I had a puddle of oil on the garage floor. Called the dealershit for an appointment and they said a month backorder. Do I ordered and installed billstiens. Different animal now.

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are the defenders better for ride than the hankook? I got used to the floaty feel the first week. Took some getting used to. It’s the bump penalty that bothers me. It’s a damn hard shake all the time. I didn’t expect this as local dealers only had the lower spec trucks and I thought the ccd was a high end thing that would have to ride better. Nope.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Really feeling glad I got the xlt, I haven't thought the ride was anything less than fantastic from day one. First time I bombed a dirt road in was was mind blowing! Does even better now with bilsteins.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Its crazy i dont remember hearing this many complaints from the 3rd gen versions even with ccd. The shaking is less the wheels and more the structure of the car and its ability to cope with the impacts. Thats always been a problem with ford products in general. Hopefull . Ford retunes the suspension in all aspects, i believe the suspension tuning during the development process was a bit rushed and underfunded (they did nothing with the components but fitted it to a different frame). As good as the ride was most of the time, even on the base springs its a bit too tight and harsh on the 20s during some runs, esp durin this day and age of auto advancement

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2018 XLT Max with OEM 18's rides just fine.
I think the same thing. If this thread proves anything it’s that ride is completely subjective and depends on a ton of factors.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think my CCD rides absolutely amazing as far as ride comfort. Its just the rear sway that needs to stop.
This is hands down the best riding vehicle I have ever owned.

The heavy sway bar is necessary in something so large with IRS.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Question, what is everyone comparing the ride of their expy to, a previously owned expy, another fs suv, minivan, crossover, another type of vehicle? Also, did the test drive not give you the impression of the long term ride?