Is my mpg reasonable?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
one other factor to consider: fuel economy is poor while the engine/transmission are not up to normal operating temperatures. I don’t know why…

JustHarsh

Reaction score
2017 XLT with tow package. Just did a 500+ mile trip and got 20.1 mpg. Most of my driving is mixed and it averages between 17-18 mpg.

Old Dog

Reaction score
2022 Platinum Max with tow package. Drove 160 miles yesterday with cruise set at 67. Mpg 23.6

Last edited:

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Can someone with knowledge answer the following question?

Ford lists the Expy as getting 17 City, 22 Highway with an average combine of 19 mpg. Are these numbers with the Auto Engine Stop/on feature on or off during Ford testing?

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Ford lists the Expy as getting 17 City, 22 Highway with an average combine of 19 mpg. Are these numbers with the Auto Engine Stop/on feature on or off during Ford testing?
Tires are key in these numbers. Also yes eco mode will return superior mileage over normal mode especially around town driving.

jjscsix

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2023 Platinum rear drive HD Tow package. We live in a fairly small town. We hit some traffic lights in town commuting but nothing like big cities (Spent much of my life in Houston and Chicago).

We get 17.5-18.0 in town and 22-23 on freeway. Our freeway driving does involve hills and we run 70-75mph

We run regular gas most of the time.

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Tires are key in these numbers. Also yes eco mode will return superior mileage over normal mode especially around town driving.
You quoted my question but your answer didnt answer it.

Fastcar

Full Access Members
Reaction score

I would imagine that Ford runs the tires up to max to grab all the mpg they can. The ASS is used only to satisfy the mpg across all models they make. They lump the numbers together. I read that a few years ago having to do with the CAFE numbers in cal. Those numbers quoted are fairly accurate IMO.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Iirc, I thought the number were running the vehicles at a set speed on a set course, with some stop and go added for city. Ford probably did use ass for their city mileage tests as whoever tested didn't turn it off.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
For EPA Tests, the vehicles are run with a Standard Fuel, equating to 92 Octane, and with all the settings the vehicles comes up with on startup. That is why ASS, and Normal mode return. They do not do the test in ECO, and ASS is active.