Ignition Coil and Plg Replacement....What Brand to Get?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EliteFord

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Does anyone know what it typically costs to have a shop change out all 8 plugs? thanks.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Many shops don't want to touch these vehicles because of the two piece plug issue. The last time I checked, my Ford dealer said something like $500 and it could go up from there depending on what issues they find or have with the plugs. He recommended that I wait and do a tune up when I replace the cam phasers and chains - which I'm putting off as long as I can.

EliteFord

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Many shops don't want to touch these vehicles because of the two piece plug issue. The last time I checked, my Ford dealer said something like $500 and it could go up from there depending on what issues they find or have with the plugs. He recommended that I wait and do a tune up when I replace the cam phasers and chains - which I'm putting off as long as I can.

thanks for the reply, at what mileage do the phasers and chains need to be done? thank you.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thanks for the reply, at what mileage do the phasers and chains need to be done? thank you.

That's hard to answer because it depends on how well the vehicle is maintained and hard it's driven. I've heard guys say as early as 125K and some guys have gone much farther. I'm at 146K and I have the ticking at idle but I have plenty of power and acceleration so I'm going to hold off until it starts to get worse.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
100K maintenence calls for them to be swapped...I did mine at 94K and the dealership still had 1 break

Mr. 10K

EliteFord

Full Access Members
Reaction score
ok thanks. currently car shopping, the quote for the job is about 1k. Our cars simply are not worth enough to pay someone to do the job.

Jb14

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I recently did my plugs and cops stick with OEM (I did the champion on my last change not recommended). I went with these standard motor products COPS (which is the OEM Manufactuer of the COPS for Ford. So they are OEM and they work very well. You can do some research but I believe the stock OEM COPs are rated for over 600hp (which I think Im being conservative)
Spark Plugs
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006DDHZ1K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

COPs
http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1320226&cc=1433355&jsn=15You

The job can seem intimidating but it is not as bad as you think just be patient and give your self a couple hours.

What I did was take out the air cleaner box and all plus took out the battery which really freed up space. take off cops blowout plug holes with compressed air and the surrounding areas (wear eye protection dirt flies) spray some cleaner in the holes and let sit for about 20 to 30 mins. You will need long extensions but go slow and dont freak when you hear the creak. New plugs torque to 25lb. there are alot of vids on the proceedure.

Note if this is the first time they have been changed and are the original two piece plug get the extraction tool and let cleaner sit for 2 hours or more some recommend 24 hours

Jb14

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I did not see the question about Cam Phasers Im at 256k ticks but runs strong changing out the 2 Cam Phaser Solenoids I highly recommend, easy DIY job

stimpson.j.cat

Reaction score
Hey all,

I figure it would be best to just go ahead and replace all the plugs AND all the coil packs. I think I can do 6 of them myself, but am leery about the last 2 that are closest to the firewall. I might have to have help with those.

What I would like to know is what brand of coil packs do you all recommend I get? I have checked the prices on various brands and it is not at all similar. The FORD parts are priced at about $60 or so EACH, which would make it almost $500 for all 8. I've seen others that are priced at $75 for all 8. I've also seen some that are about $50 for all 8. If I can get by with using something other than the FORD parts, I'd like to do that cause spending $500 on these coil packs is not easy for my budget.

So, I need your help in suggesting what coil packs would work well for me. What have you used and had success with in the past?

Nalajr

At 100K, definitely replace the plugs. There are numerous videos on how to do it. Here is one link.

Prevailing advice is to soak the plugs at least 15 min to overnight w/ carb cleaner. Next day, run engine for 5 min to warm up plugs, then use impact wrench to remove. Might want to rent the Lisle broken plug remover tool from O-Reilly in case any break.

Motorcraft SP-515 is the recommended replacement plug (I think).

In my limited experience, the boots on the COPS (coil-on-plug) develop cracks and fail much more often than the COPs themselves. If your misfires happen more often after a rain or car wash, that is what I would suspect first. If your engine throws a code you should be able to pinpoint which cylinder is misbehaving. I suspect this is what your friend replaced the last time.

If it were me, I would replace the 2 COPs in the back when replacing plugs - since those are the hardest to get to. I would replace other coils only if they tested bad via a Multimeter. I would replace all boots. They are cheap. Use dielectric grease to help keep water out. You could always keep a spare COP plus socket in the car if you are paranoid or going on long trips.

Here are some parts #s from rockauto.com. Should also be available at O-Reilly, Advance, or Amazon. I have not had any issues w/ Denso coils - which are about 1/2 as much as the OEM Motorcrafts. Replacing 8 plugs + 8 boots + 2 coils ~ $145 vs $500 plus.

Plugs
MOTORCRAFT SP515, each $9.20

Coil-on-plug boot
DENSO 6718110 Complete Set; 8 Boots $24

Ignition coil (coil-on-plug)
DENSO 6736000 Coil on Plug, each $22.79
MOTORCRAFT DG508 {#3W7Z12029AA, DG540}, each $40.89