Ignition switched fuses

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cort

Reaction score
are there any fuses that are only given power when they ignition or acc are on? I added a subwoofer and amplifier and left the stock stereo in my 2008 exp. and need a remote wire. The wire coming off the radio that is switched is not 12v and I tried almost every fuse in the panel on the passenger floorboard and they all had power even with the key out of the ignition. My guess is they always have power and are computer controlled. Someone tell me I am wrong.

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
are there any fuses that are only given power when they ignition or acc are on? I added a subwoofer and amplifier and left the stock stereo in my 2008 exp. and need a remote wire. The wire coming off the radio that is switched is not 12v and I tried almost every fuse in the panel on the passenger floorboard and they all had power even with the key out of the ignition. My guess is they always have power and are computer controlled. Someone tell me I am wrong.
Unfortunately a good portion of the car is on the canbus network so you won't really find a switched 12v at any of the accessories. you could check the underhood fuse box though

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
are there any fuses that are only given power when they ignition or acc are on? Someone tell me I am wrong.

Most fuses in the expedition are Hot at all times
There are also some fuses that will only be hot when the key is in the Run/Start position or when the key is in the Acc. Position

For example the radio has a few fuses for it One fuse provides power for the clock circuit. That would be hot at all times. Other fuses will only have power when in the run/start or Acc. position

Same for the wiper circuit

Without having a print for your expy the best way to know would be for you to get a volt meter and read each fuse to see what is hot with the key out. Make a list of each fuse that has power and a list of each fuse that doesn't have power.

Then put the key in the run position and see which fuses that didn't have power with the key out now have power with the key in the run position.

May be a little time consuming but at least you will have your answer

You would need to do this for both fuse boxes

marlinpruett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2007 EXP EL Limited had a couple of unused and key switched fuses.I just hooked up a car cam to one.
Take your test light and check them with key switch on and off.

Big Brian

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I tried finding
My 2007 EXP EL Limited had a couple of unused and key switched fuses.I just hooked up a car cam to one.
Take your test light and check them with key switch on and off.
can you please tell me which fuse box you are talking about?

thanks

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I tried finding

can you please tell me which fuse box you are talking about?

thanks

There should be about 9 empty fuse slots in the passenger fuse box according to the 2008 owners manual Some of those will be hot at all times but a few will only be hot when the key is in the run start position