In the market for an Expedition - what to watch for?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryoung57

Reaction score
I have found myself in the market for a lightly used Expedition Max. We need the towing capability to pull an RV and the interior space to haul ourselves and dogs. The Expedition is at the top of the list with roughly 1000lbs more towing capacity than the Suburban/Yukon and the Navigator L, and way more interior space than the Sequoia, Durango, Wagoneer, and Armada. One of my company trucks is a 2019 F-150 with the 3.5L Ecoboost, and other than the start up noise, it's been a good truck over the 160k or more we've driven it (it's a work truck driven by guys that don't have to pay to fix it, so "abused", "thrashed", "tormented", "hammered", etc might be better descriptions of what this truck has been through). That said, it's a basic truck with few options, so what I need to determine is how the Expedition's features hold up over time. We'd be looking for a 2020-21 Limited or higher, with roughly 50k on it. I've driven a couple, and noticed a few things. First, the little trim covers over the folded 3rd row seats seem to be broken on every truck. Second, they have a very "pitchy" ride when going over bumps, almost like a boat pitching over waves. What other irritating things can I expect from ownership?

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
wastegate rattle . Mines rattle all the time while driving and rattle when the engine is revved

OP
OP
R

ryoung57

Reaction score
If u get ccd,you won't gave much of a pitchy ride
Does it go bad (shocks wear out), or are there settings better than others? I've driven a limited max, a platinum max, a navigator L, and a regular navigator all with between 50k and 80k miles. They all did it to some degree.

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is there a fix?

No. Unless the turbos are replaced (The dealer wont do this for wastegate noise & the rattle will eventually come back with the new turbos anyways) Its a design flaw with the turbos that they have not fixed because it does not cause mechanical failure.

I have a 2019 so maybe the newer expys dont have the wastegate rattle issue..(diff style turbo/wastegate linkage)? I wouldnt let it deter u on the expy u find though

Woodwolf

Reaction score
No. Unless the turbos are replaced (The dealer wont do this for wastegate noise & the rattle will eventually come back with the new turbos anyways) Its a design flaw with the turbos that they have not fixed because it does not cause mechanical failure.

I have a 2019 so maybe the newer expys dont have the wastegate rattle issue..(diff style turbo/wastegate linkage)? I wouldnt let it deter u on the expy u find though
apparently there is a cheap home made fix by attaching a small spring to the linkage. There is a posting somewhere with a picture on this forum. or see F150 forum:
Adding a spring from the wastegate linkage to an anchor point on the turbo, the light spring pressure keeps the linkage from chattering.
This is the Lowes spring and part number he posted.1696605467627.png

Last edited:

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Does it go bad (shocks wear out), or are there settings better than others? I've driven a limited max, a platinum max, a navigator L, and a regular navigator all with between 50k and 80k miles. They all did it to some degree.

Not as much as the standard shocks do. When mines feels "pitchy", I put it and sports mode to firm up the shocks. Ot feels more car like to me.

sixstring

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you are towing or riding heavy you'll probably go through some brakes.

Great vehicles though. All three of mine are in the family and are still running fine.

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
apparently there is a cheap home made fix by attaching a small spring to the linkage. There is a posting somewhere with a picture on this forum. or see F150 forum:
Adding a spring from the wastegate linkage to an anchor point on the turbo, the light spring pressure keeps the linkage from chattering.
This is the Lowes spring and part number he posted.View attachment 79003
I know of this and havent had time to lift up the vehicle, remove the wheels and wheell-well liners to get to the turbo.
Ford also does not recommend this method, or atleast the dealer i dealt with..
An $80,000 SUV that you have to put a little spring on an engine component to not make it sound like crap lol good job Ford. Shoulda got the Tahoe and not deal with these turbos