Increasing Maxium Tongue Weight

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zdjd09

Reaction score
I have a 2012 Limited Expedition with a trailer weight of 9200# and a tongue weight of 920#. I'm pulling a 31 foot travel trailer. I’ve been on the scales several times, the loaded vehicle weight is 5960#, the loaded trailer weight is 8620#, and the combined loaded weight is 14,580# which is under the rated weight of 15,000#. I am using a Husky Centerline weight distribution hitch with sway control.

My problem is tongue weight, the trailer manufacture listed it at 900#, but I missed the small print “DRY WEIGHT”, the measured tongue weight is closer to 1150#.

The people I purchased the trailer and hitch from are suggestion air bags on the rear suspension. I’ve also read that I may need to upgrade my tires. Any suggestion on how I can increase the tongue weight limit on my Expedition.

Last edited:

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What type of trailer? If you do not have surge brakes, I would look into a Weight Distribution Hitch. Helper bags would be nice, but that isn't necessarily the limiting factor on tongue weight. I would say the suspension components AND frame would come into play at anything over suggested tongue weight, but the tires may be the weakest link of the whole thing unless you have the properly rated tires.

rocketvette95

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you do use a Weight Dist Hitch that will move the heavy tongue weight more to the front (or frame) of your tow vehicle. Your rear springs should be able to take the load with no issuses as long as the WD hitch is set up correctly. I would also check into a set of rear air bags,only if you do not have the Air Suspension. I think I would check on installing a heavier Trans cooler just to be on the safe side. AS for the tires,the standard tires you have should be just fine. You can look on the side wall and see what the maxium weight limit is and do the math from there

cherokeexj32

Reaction score
same issue

I have the same type of issue going on. I am wanting to tow my 30' travel trailer more safely and was hoping to find some other types of towing enhancements - along with a WDH- but everywhere I looked, I was not able to find any.

In the meantime I am looking at E350 vans but their 5.4 tow ratings are A LOT worse than what I already have, so a V10 comes into the picture.

If you do find some kind of rear suspension adder that can help with tongue weight, please let us know!!

dspfeiffer

Reaction score
Tongue weight and air suspension

I am in the same boat. 2009 Expedition EL. I use the Husky centerline hitch also (which in itself is a beast-very heavy!). Truck tows great. Acceleration, handling, braking, sway - all no problem. My only issue is the tongue weight. For some reason the geometry of the trailer we bought is pushing the tongue weight limits for the Expy. It sags more than I like, and the W/D hitch is cranked up as much as I want to adjust it.

I have looked into any and all aftermarket options. I can't find anything. The coil-over-strut design seems to be the limiting factor. Has anyone come up with anything aftermarket that might help? If not, does anyone have any experience with a Expy with air suspension and a heavy tongue weight? Is it worth upgrading to a newer Expedition with the Air Ride suspension? I love my Expedition and won't buy anything else, but I am also pretty committed to the trailer. How much help do you get from the factory air suspension? I'm trying to figure out if its worth upgrading. I appreciate any input.

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
- The additional tongue weight on the back of your tow vehicle will cause the rear axle load to significantly increase. The increase in weight may also exceed the axle's weight rating, and the heavy load on the receiver might exceed its rating.

The front axle load will be decreased. The decreased load on the front axle can cause a loss of steering control and braking difficulties.