Towing a Rockwood 2516s

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryanpe

Reaction score
I'm looking at moving from my Lance 1985 to a Rockwood 2516s. The Rockwood has a dry hitch weight of 781#. Add the batteries, propane and my 12,000 e2 WDH and it will be over 1100#. The Ford towing guide shows for my 2021 HD tow a 9300# towing capacity and 930# max hitch weight. The Rockwood is 6050# empty and 7800# at max load. I'm concerned with exceeding the stated max hitch weight by 200#. I will be under the Expo payload of 1605 as there is just the two of us. Is the Ford hitch guide (930#) a hard number as I see it's 10% of the max tow number. Does the WDH distribution of weight affect the 930# number? Thx!

apex96

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not sure it’s a hard number but it is interesting that have it in the towing guide. My guess is it’s to prevent someone from grossly overloading the cargo carry capacity of the expedition with the tongue weight of a trailer.

The WDH is part of your tongue weight total. The good news is that as you dial weight off the tongue to get the weight distribution right you should come down from your 1100 number and closer to the 930 number. Biggest thing is to not exceed the CCC and stay under the 9300 max tow number.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can use a lighter battery chemistry, like LFP, or relocate the battery away from the hitch to reduce tongue weight.

You can also travel with empty tanks or a single one if you have electric water/heater.

The WDH does count against the max hitch weight. Some people have moved to the Andersen because it's lighter.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire