Information system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rollinstone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2014 Ltd, non-navigation. Towing trailer so I disabled the rear parking aid. After unhooking trailer the "Rear Parking Aid <ON> OFF" displayed which is what I wanted, but the selector buttons became inoperable and this display remained fixed. Tried everything. Finally had to pull the neg battery cable which reset everything, but of course clears all my Bluetooth functions and everything else...WTF!

OP
OP
rollinstone

rollinstone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
BUMP...happened again. Seems to occur after I unhook the trailer after a trip...Rear Park Aid remains stuck and freezes all the info systems. Is there a reboot button somewhere so that I don't have to disconnect the NEG battery terminal every time this happens?

montecarlo31

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is the key out of the ignition when you unhook the trailer?

Has nothing to do with the key, you should be able to connect and disconnect without stopping the truck. There is a TSB out there for this. I'm sure I'll get a request from ford AGAIN not to post the TSBs but this is enough to get the OP going.

TSB 14-0036 - Effective Feb 21 2014 2013-2014 Expedition - Information Display In Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) Locking Up After Disconnecting Trailer

OP
OP
rollinstone

rollinstone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks, Monte...is there a specific website to go to where I can plug in the TSB number...or just call the dealership?

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Things don't always go as planned or designed. If the ignition was off the pcm and other modules would re-initialize once restarted. Might be a possible work around until a better solution is determined.

OP
OP
rollinstone

rollinstone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My usual unhooking procedure is to park the trailer, chock, shut down engine, unhook everything (including the 7-pin), crank up the tongue jack, start up and pull away.

Anyway, it's going into the shop Tuesday for a look-see. Thanks, Gents!

montecarlo31

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks, Monte...is there a specific website to go to where I can plug in the TSB number...or just call the dealership?

Give the dealer that number and they can pull it up. What was the build date on your truck? Curious if they shipped it knowing there were issues. I also strongly urge you to file a complaint with the NHTSA to make sure serious issues like this defect are pointed out.

Things don't always go as planned or designed. If the ignition was off the pcm and other modules would re-initialize once restarted. Might be a possible work around until a better solution is determined.

Work around? Humm lets see I just pulled a 8,000 lb trailer in 95 plus degree heat for 2 hours and before I unhook I want to shut down my engine to make sure I cook all my fluids and bearings? How about Ford does something right from the start for a change. Their built in brake controls have been crap since they came out in the super duties and I can't tell you how many I've seen fail in our service trucks. I would almost bet his truck shipped with the defect present and the update not applied.

OP
OP
rollinstone

rollinstone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Gotcha...I used to fly Army helicopters with turbine engines...the shutdown checklist required a 2-minute cool-down at flight idle before shutting down...that's stayed with me with everything I own that burns petroleum...even my lawn mower :)

By the time I get off the freeway and drive 4 miles to the house, back up to unhook, plenty of time has elapsed to cool things down a bit.

OP
OP
rollinstone

rollinstone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Took it to the dealer today and they performed TSB 14-0036. Reprogrammed IPC after which they were unable to duplicate condition on their trailer emulator. No DTCS set in any modules at this time (not sure what that means). Also checked 7-way trailer operation.

So, everything's back to normal...we'll see if it sticks the next time I tow.