Instrument cluster lights not working, blowing fuses

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Ristin

Ristin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My current EATC was an Ebay purchase to replace the original unit which was physically broken, like punched hard with a blunt object broken. The Ebay unit worked fine but come night time none of the back lights worked. Pulled it apart and found all 5 bulbs were burned out which seemed a little odd. Unsoldered the good bulbs from my old EATC and soldered into the Ebay unit. Worked great except.... the outside temp rarely displayed correctly even before I took the EATC apart. The first digit of the OAT would always be H or 8 no matter what the temp was. Yet the auto temp setting would display correctly. This time apart I noticed some solder bridging 3 pins on the LED unit. Took a sharp knife and removed the solder, now the outside temp works perfectly.
Yay me!

I'm between multimeters at the moment. Very very very important to verify what outlet the leads are plugged into. Lets just say if the leads are plugged into the current measuring outlet and you don't realize that before attempting to measure the voltage on a 240v line, unpleasant sounds and smells will emanate from your multimeter.