Intake coolant tube

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeffnoel

Reaction score
Take care when working on the intake, the coolant tube on mine broke last Spring and the mechanic broke my intake when trying to remove the bad tube.

OP
OP
H

hades02

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks JeffNoel. I will definitely be careful. It's been cold here in CT so no progress. My garage is full of crap so I can't get her in there and work in
a heated space. I do however need to get this done this week as the car that I am borrowing goes back to the owner next weekend.

Gibbers18

Reaction score
Did you have any luck getting it in and working? I did a heater core replacement and when I started the car I had a leak right there out of the tube as well and am waiting for the part from the dealer. I have the manifold at the machine shop to pull it out at right now, but wanted to know if you put any sealant on it when reinstalling. Thanks!

Gibbers18

Reaction score
The install is finally done, and car is running great!! Couple of recommendations based on my install experience:

1) Reinstalling the back manifold bolts can be a pain, especially trying to get a torque wrench on them! I would set the intake manifold back on with the bolts sitting through the holes already so you are not trying to get a magnet back there to get them started.

2) Keep the heater core hoses disconencted till the very end, definitly helps to move those hoses out of the way

3) Replace and grease those heater hose O-rings, suckers leaked on me twice after the isntall was done.

4) Double check cylinder #3 coil connector, hard to get lined up and hooked on, it fell off on me, cause a miss, but the engine Code led me to the fix on it.

5) Spray the EGR tube with lots of wd-40, sucker was not happy coming off at first

6) make sure the rubber grommet for the shifter cable is isntalled right, I noticed mine was out a bit and it was hitting the EGR tube and melting!

7) Replace all the spark plugs with the manifold out, MUCH easier to do this way, but before pulling the plugs, spary some air down in the recess where they sit, the fluid can build up in there and when you pull the plug it drops in the motor.

Finally, definitly be careful with those 5.4 manifolds, they are 1000 bucks from the dealer and very scarce on eBay, be gentle :)