Intake Leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

03xpo

Reaction score
i think i have the same problem on my 03 i found coolant in the oil...and the oil cap looked milky (coolant and oil) but it runs great

districk81

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2000 EB and finally got it on the road yesterday. its been sitting for 2 years. i did a air to coil spring swap. it rides great the problem is the first time i stopped after about 25 miles i noticed smoke coming from the engine and then smelled engine coolant. after further inspection i found the leak it is in the very front of the engine on the left (passenger) side there on the intake it looks like the front part of it, its metal not plastic i think its aluminum, any way its the only part of the intake that is metal and its up there in the very front. The right hand side is were the thermostat is located then it goes back behind the the alternator and the alt is actually bolted to it then it goes over to the left hand side and underneath there is were it is spitting out water. the valley is full of water and the fan is blowing water all over every thing on the left hand side. its not real bad like i could still drive it i just stopped every 7 to 10 miles and added water. it never over heated and it never took more than about half a gallon to refill the reservoir. like i said its been sitting for about two years because of the suspension so i just got it and i've never had a ford before. when i first found the leak i was like what the h#$% were is the radiator cap. needless to say i never found it. lol!!! I've talked to a couple guys at some local shops and all tell me that these triton engines with the plastic intakes are notorious for cracking and springing leaks. i thought it was a gasket they said wishful thinking its probably cracked either way its gotta come off. it looks like a h$%R of a job. has anyone else ever had this problem and could they please give me some pointers on it. Also i heard dorman has a good replacement intake and not to buy some pos off of ebay b/c they're trash. im working with a really limited budget so can't i just go get one from a pick a part.

daoud el-massri

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Good job I feel for you I changed my motor in the cold this winter also froz my but off . My motor is also hesitating under load it stumbuls dose not miss fire thou . I replaced coil each boots because I heard a tick when I started it up . Now I have no clough on what it could be . Have no check engine light on .

RollinKaos

Reaction score
Need to do this to mine, leaking at the manifold quite a bit. I am not looking forward to it but I have done a lot of intakes on SBC engines so I think I will be all right. Any tricks to bleeding the cooling system? I have front and rear heating and wondering if there is any issues bleeding it . I am getting the Dorman intake as well, cant see replacing it with a part you know is going to fail again.

districk81

Full Access Members
Reaction score
it took me6 hours to change mine on my 2000 EB. seemed like it was easier to put back on than it was to take apart. went ahead and changed my spark plugs while I was at it. the old intake was busted over there by the coolant temp sensor right there under the crossover. now ever so often I get a rough idle so I think ive got a vacum leakim not sure