Intake manifold leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
If you're not planning on fixing it the right way then just leave it alone and live with the noise for now, adding epoxy will make the repair job later a nightmare.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
He said intake, not exhaust.

If yours cracked where mine cracked then getting to the crack with epoxy isn't really easy.

It's a fairly simple fix actually. There's plenty of YouTube videos on it. Great time to change your spark plugs too.

RonB1964

Reaction score
Is coolant leaking? If minor, you may try some Bars Stop Leak. Mine cracked and was gushing coolant, so I replaced the intake with a Dorman replacement. It was an easy repair in my opinion.

Michael461

Reaction score
I just finished a replacement and agree that it is not that complicated. In addition to spark plugs, which is much easier with the intake off, I took the opportunity to clean the sand and gunk in the valley. The entire repair took some time due to discovering that the spark plug tubes were full of oil and coolant that had leaked from the intake....GRRRR. Upon a post mortem of the original intake (202K), I discovered that the plastic had dissolved and cracked under the aluminum coolant tube. I also have a 97EB with 227K, aluminum intake and NO leaks. Oh, the replacement was a new Ford OEM part that I had from a previous F150. Also replaced sensors, EGR, IAC, injectors, and a few other parts that would be difficult to get to if I didn't replace when I had access. So, my point is; for less than a current car payment, I have a 5.4 that runs as good as new. Now for the suspension!!!!

TrailLifeBill

Reaction score
Not to say it's a fix-all for every situation, but about 10 years ago I was on a trip with my 2001 Expedition (4.6L had approx 125,000 miles on it then) when it sprang a pinhole leak at the base of the press-fit heater hose nipple on the intake manifold. Ford's "fix" is to replace the entire manifold (over $1000). Since I was on the road and in a real pickle, I decided to give JB Weld a try (nothing but $5 to lose). I took a popsicle stick and mixed it up on a piece of cardboard, then slathered it over the leak with the popsicle stick and let it cure. It not only got me home, but 10 years and 100,000 more miles later and it hasn't leaked a drop.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The op didn't state what his problem was? I'm assuming coolant leak. If its an intake leak, or a coolant leak unless it's in an accessible area, how's it going to be fixed without yanking the intake. Oh and by the by, don't put stop leak, these suvs have enough coolant flow issues without clogging the system. I'm with habbibie, leave it alone, keep coolant full, till you have the $ to do it right. Band aids are for when you cut yourself working on your truck, not the truck itself!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Their is a diagnostic procedure online to determine if you have a module problem, or something else. Just Google how to diagnose my heating problem Ford expedition, post what you or your tech finds.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sorry last post was for guy having heating issues, not intake! Don't know how it got here.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nameisbry