Intake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well in an ideal world where money is no factor, K&N CAI and dual exhaust off of shorty headers through a Magnaflow or Flowmaster 40 would be as good as it gets.

If you are like a normal person, and want to save money, Gott's mod (poor man's CAI that costs about $12) and maybe a performance muffler in place of the stock one would be good. I personally would do a Magnaflow if I were going to go with a chambered muffler like that. I do like glasspacks though haha.

SOLISIMO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dont run shortys on a 3rd gen. Look at ebay for the k&n kit, I scooped mine up for less then 100 shipped and it sounds great. If your looking into going all out on the exhaust pm me and Ill share some info with you

darmahsd

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Dont run shortys on a 3rd gen.

Aside from the fact that they would be a PITA to install on both 2nd and 3rd gen, and would show little if any performance gain, what other reasons for recommending not using them?
I want them on my 2nd gen ('05) because of bad experience with my old '97. I keep my stuff long. So, the cast manifolds on the '97 eventually cracked after about 180 thousand miles.
In order to remove and replace them, I had to torch and Dremel them
'cause everything was rusted into one piece. I know this would be even harder to do on a 2nd and 3rd gen because of the different 3valve heads and lots less clearance. But if they're even available, replacing them with stainless shorties and stainless fasteners would avoid the problem on my '05 while the mileage is still relatively low at 68K.
Loads more stuff is available for 1rst gen. So doing a search, I haven't seen stainless shorty headers for the 3valve 2nd gen. so they can bolt up to the stock exhaust. If anyone can point me to a set, the reason I tried to explain here is why I need them, and not the performance.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It wasn't a pain at all to install on my 04...05 have a different intake

Holy Rollerz Christian Car Club (HRC3)

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Took me 15 mins

Holy Rollerz Christian Car Club (HRC3)

darmahsd

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not the intake. I was talking about Solisimo's old post not recommending shorties- exhaust headers. Unless you have an oxy-acetylene torch and a few extra hands, no way to remove exhaust manifolds and install any kind of header on a ten year old Expy in 15 minutes. Don't think you meant that, right? Never being driven in the rain, no constant hot/cold condensation, or having stainless fasteners would make the job go quick. But then only on 2V,1rst gen Expy's, where you can actually get to most of the exhaust manifold bolts through the wheel well.
Don't know if the layout on 2 valve, 2nd gen's makes it easier,
but my '05 three valve is crammed in there.

1mpg

Reaction score
Sorry for the intrusion, I just installed the k&n and wow this thing really wakes up the engine. I took the truck on the highway and before I knew it I was doing 90mph. I really do slow take offs and let her catch up to speed and you don't hear anything until you really hit it but damn.... I couldn't stop flooring this sucker. I had my 8 year old son who assisted me with the install (let him tightened a couple of clamps) and he was like "wow dad, it sounds louder than uncles mustang" which I fully agree with him.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 138