Intermittment Whistle Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eddiemoney

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Got one heck of an annoyance that can't be pinpointed - looking for help.....

I get a whistle noise at speed; sounds like its coming from the front, underneath the vehicle...maybe more on the passenger side. It has been doing it since new, but is becoming more frequent - almost 40K miles now, 2010 EL 4x4.

Its not a howl like a wheel bearing, its higher pitched compared to what I have heard from bearings.

It shows itself over 55mph; comes and goes. Most prominent at light acceleration, under heavy acceleration it goes away. Once it 'starts' it will typically continue through a stop without acceleration ( have found because i have pulled off to try and find it immediately off the interstate). Unfortunately as soon as I take back off from the stop it goes away.

Dealer looked around when they replaced the passenger axle seal and didn't see anything - when I asked for specifics they didn't give me crap so I don't think they even bothered to try and look...very frustrating

Throwing it out there, looking for creative ideas

Last edited:

FordCustSrvc

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Got one heck of an annoyance that can't be pinpointed - looking for help.....

I get a whistle noise at speed; sounds like its coming from the front, underneath the vehicle...maybe more on the passenger side...

Hi eddiemoney,

I want to get your regional customer service manager involved so they can assist. Send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name; I'll get your case escalated.

Thanks!

Crystal

Last edited:

01yellerCobra

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds like a vacuum leak. Are the hubs vacuum controlled on the newer models?

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

mindgame

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Shot in the dark.. (investment... 30 minutes of your time)

Try removing the Idle air Control Value.. Clean it... Make sure it is absolutely dry...
Reinstall, then remove battery to reset the computer...
:head3:

OP
OP
E

eddiemoney

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Its very odd....seems like its louder than the vacuum lines...its a notable whistle/high pitched howl that I can hear well above HVAC and radio (unless the radio is turned way up) -> Crystal, looking forward to seeing what you can do to make my dealer investigate rather than just "not reproduce it"...it's super annoying; took a 30 mile trip this weekend, happened three times on the way down, none on the way back...seems random to me

I'll report back on this thread on what Crystal from Ford can help arrange ! Glad to know there is someone that cares!

Last edited:

FordCustSrvc

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Its very odd....seems like its louder than the vacuum lines...its a notable whistle/high pitched howl that I can hear well above HVAC and radio (unless the radio is turned way up) -> Crystal, looking forward to seeing what you can do to make my dealer investigate rather than just "not reproduce it"...it's super annoying; took a 30 mile trip this weekend, happened three times on the way down, none on the way back...seems random to me

I'll report back on this thread on what Crystal from Ford can help arrange ! Glad to know there is someone that cares!

Hi eddiemoney,

I responded to your message with case escalation information. Take a peek at your inbox and let me know if you have any questions.

Crystal

08T1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine is an older 08 with 115 on the clock. Mine as a very high pitch squeal that goes away when I put it in 4A.
When it does make the sound it’s at certain speeds. 10mph through 40mph. Above that or below it the sound stops.
The mph variable not always at those set speeds.
But it stops every time I set it in 4A.

Maybe something to look into.

CJ

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In that case it sounds like something vacuum related... In 4A your solenoid vents vacuum allowing your hubs to engage. Wonder what component it is in the vacuum system that causes the whistle.