Is this a remote starter or keyless entry receiver or something else??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BRIANGEE

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is near the break pedal but towards the dash. I'm trying to figure out if it's an aftermarket remote starter or the receiver for the key fobs.

I got out of the vehicle today took a few steps and the vehicle started up all by itself! My son and I looked at each other like huh?... I unlocked the vehicle stuck the key in, cycled from off to on, and it wouldn't shut off. Tried cycling from on to off again and the second I hit the brake pedal it shut off.

So, today while I was under the hood fixing the cruise control I noticed this box stuffed up in there and thought BINGO! Remote starter! But, after poking around the internet I'm not sure that that's the case. With all the electrical tape I wouldn't think it's OEM.

It's got two connectors going into this box. One connector has two wires (black and black with white stripe) the other has a three wire connector (red white and blue). The black wires look like they go towards the ignition switch.

ABkXHNs.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
BRIANGEE

BRIANGEE

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Alright I got it figured out. I would delete this thread but don't see an option to. But for any who might read this I'll just tell you that unbeknown to me this vehicle came factory equipped with remote start. The FOBS are basic keyless entry types and I thought that's all they did but I came across some info on the net about hitting the lock button a couple of times to activate the remote start. So I thought I'd see and sure enough the vehicle started up and started driving around popping wheelies and stuff on it's own.

So I had a couple of these fobs rolling around the storage compartment near the arm rest and I'm guessing either the heat caused it to fire up or a flashlight or something hit the button when I slammed the door and caused it to start. I don't know... I'll just put these things inside the house and forget about them.

46L281GT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That is an aftermarket accessory. They can be set up to start the vehicle after pressing the lock button a few (usually 3) times. Probably the crimstopper brand.

OP
OP
BRIANGEE

BRIANGEE

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Definitely looks like it... I'd like to eventually remove it.

46L281GT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It wouldn't be hard to remove it, any particular reason why? I have the 2 way remote version with the system and it has never caused me any issues.

OP
OP
BRIANGEE

BRIANGEE

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It wouldn't be hard to remove it, any particular reason why? I have the 2 way remote version with the system and it has never caused me any issues.

I just don't like that it started on it's own... next it might become self aware and at that point I'm screwed. We all are.

46L281GT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It didn't start on its own, it was started by the command that you pressed on the remote. to each their own. just my .02

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
True that^^

All this time you've owned it, it hasn't started on its own. But now that you're fussing with it intentionally trying to engage it and it starts up then it's doing it's job and you're just insecure of your own judgment to leave it alone.

OP
OP
BRIANGEE

BRIANGEE

Full Access Members
Reaction score
True that^^

All this time you've owned it, it hasn't started on its own. But now that you're fussing with it intentionally trying to engage it and it starts up then it's doing it's job and you're just insecure of your own judgment to leave it alone.

I've owned this vehicle for several weeks now so one time starting on it's own is enough for me.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BRIANGEE

BRIANGEE

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It didn't start on its own, it was started by the command that you pressed on the remote. to each their own. just my .02

Nope, it started on it's own when I was about 15 feet away from it. No fobs in pocket.