is this an accurate color chart for HIDs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NewbieVet

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is this an accurate color chart for HIDs? Also, are there legal restrictions for how high you can go? Cheers!

color.jpg

JDMitchell

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It is pretty damn close. Every manufacturer will have slight differences but from what I have owned (6000K and 8000K) those are nearly an identical match.

JDMitchell

Full Access Members
Reaction score
legal restrictions?

Technically HID's are for off road use only unless they are OEM. But if you stick with a "normal" color then you shouldn't have any problems. I have never had any problems with the 6000K kits on either of my motorcycles or the 8000K kit on my Expy.

It all depends on your state and what laws the LEO's want to enforce.

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
The trick with HID bulbs is whether they have gotten their "DOT APPROVAL" or not. If you look on the box, they will specifically say "DOT APPROVED". If the bulbs have that, then you can run them in all 50 states. If they don't have that, then they are restricted to off-road use only. Now, keep in mind, to the best of my knowledge, the only HIDs that are DOT APPROVED are 35W HIDs that are in the 3000K, 4300K, 5000K, and 6000K color range. Any others, you would need to do some research into. Even the 3000K ones are questionable. So, look at the box and go from there. Also keep in mind that the bulbs will also have the "DOT APPROVED" lettering stamped on them. That way if the cops give you any trouble, you can simply pull out the bulb and show them the stamping. To the best of my knowledge, all 50 states have a statement in their laws that all lights used on the road must be "DOT APPROVED". By having the DOT approval, the light has the proper light output as defined by the government.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The trick with HID bulbs is whether they have gotten their "DOT APPROVAL" or not. If you look on the box, they will specifically say "DOT APPROVED". If the bulbs have that, then you can run them in all 50 states. If they don't have that, then they are restricted to off-road use only. Now, keep in mind, to the best of my knowledge, the only HIDs that are DOT APPROVED are 35W HIDs that are in the 3000K, 4300K, 5000K, and 6000K color range. Any others, you would need to do some research into. Even the 3000K ones are questionable. So, look at the box and go from there. Also keep in mind that the bulbs will also have the "DOT APPROVED" lettering stamped on them. That way if the cops give you any trouble, you can simply pull out the bulb and show them the stamping. To the best of my knowledge, all 50 states have a statement in their laws that all lights used on the road must be "DOT APPROVED". By having the DOT approval, the light has the proper light output as defined by the government.

I'd like to see some of these "DOT approved" lights. To my knowledge, all PnP HID lights are illegal. Unless, of course, you are referring to the OEM type bulbs like the D2S, D2R, etc, which require projectors, or HID-designed reflector housings.

Even full retros are questionable, though I do seem to recall having this discussion with someone on F150online.If I recall, the legality of retros was kinnda left up to the states.

I vaguely recall something about the bulb you put into a housing has to have the wattage stamped on the base, and it has to match what was OEM.

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
As far as brightness goes, 5000K is the whitest and brightest. As you go higher (bluer) the amount of visible light goes down.

If you stay around 5 or 6k and aim them correctly, it's doubtfull that you'll have any problems with Johnny Law.

OP
OP
NewbieVet

NewbieVet

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Why do they care anyway? I always find the bluish hue HIDs (around 8k) pleasing to the eye and not too invasive...