is this an accurate color chart for HIDs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SOLISIMO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd like to see some of these "DOT approved" lights. To my knowledge, all PnP HID lights are illegal. Unless, of course, you are referring to the OEM type bulbs like the D2S, D2R, etc, which require projectors, or HID-designed reflector housings.

Even full retros are questionable, though I do seem to recall having this discussion with someone on F150online.If I recall, the legality of retros was kinnda left up to the states.

I vaguely recall something about the bulb you put into a housing has to have the wattage stamped on the base, and it has to match what was OEM.

There are no HID kits that are DOT approved. They are all made by the same factory in China (ALL) and they are all illegal.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why do they care anyway? I always find the bluish hue HIDs (around 8k) pleasing to the eye and not too invasive...

Not to oncoming traffic...

That, and blue has less lumens, and strains eyesight more (it's harder to focus on blue light).

The real culprit, though, is that our headlights aren't made for HIDs. I mean, at least the 2nd gen has seperate low and high beam reflectors, so I'd think it'd be less obnoxious. In the single reflector design, the difference between the low and high beams filaments isn't that much, so positioning of the HID bulbs arc has a bigger impact. At least that's what I'd think.

I do have PnP HIDs in my headlights. I use 4300k, as well as having them aimed down a bit. I guess I've been draggin ass with this retro fit :p

------------
EDIT: Just saw your reply, solisimo.

I knew that :p Why I was asking to see these so called "DOT approved" systems. Also why I chuckle when people pay a ton of money on HID PnP systems. :rotflmao:

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i have 6K...8k was too much blue...they care because you could interfere with on-coming traffic visibility...or those in front of you going the same way...i blinded people as i pulled up behind them sitting at a red light...even pulled up/next to coppers...nothing...head to head with the coppers...nothing...think it depends on the cop and if they're enforcing to law...from what i know...the younggings here are in pretty good standing with them...they have they fun at approved establishments who have agreed to let them loiter with their permission

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok...whats HID PnP...i copped my china made from ebay for $35...

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
oh...yeah...PnP...duh...just needed a refresher...i paid $35

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
phhhsssss... I got 10K in both headlights and fogs... lol.. but next time gonna go with 6K's