Issues with my big red truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SWADE23

Full Access Members
Reaction score
MORNING FORUM!

ALRIGHT SO HERES SOME PICS OF THE TRUCK I BOUGHT...

http://expeditionforum.com/showthread.php?t=4461

ITS REAL CLEAN... STEP UP BARS ARE KINDA RUSTY, OTHER THAN THAT ITS SWEET.... I LOVE IT

AFTER THE 1ST COUPLE DAYS OF DRIVING AROUND I NOTICED SOME SQUEAKING FROM THE FRONT END... NOW, ONLY OWNING JEEPS PRIOR TO BUYING THIS I DIDNT THINK THE NOISE WAS THAT SERIOUS. FIGURED THAT MAYBE THIS TRUCK JUST SQUEAKS, AFTER ALL ITS 10YRS OLD.
SO LAST FRIDAY I SAY F-IT LET ME PUT IT IN THE SHOP AND GET IT CHECKED.
I ENDED UP HAVING TO REPLACE UPPER & LOWER CONTROL ARMS,BALL JOINTS, TY-RODS AND OTHER MINOR PARTS ON EACH SIDE... ABOUT 800 BUCKS LATER, NO MORE SQUEAK..... THAT WAS SOOOOOO UNEXPECTED.
WELL, AT LEAST I KNOW I BASICALLY HAVE A NEW FRONT END... LOL

MY OTHER BEEF WITH THE TRUCK:
CITY DRIVING IS FINE... NO ISSUES... I TOOK THE TRUCK ON ITS 1ST DRIVE UPSTATE NY SATURDAY MORNING. I FIND THERES A HUGE DECREASE IN ACCELERATION GOING UP SLIGHT INCLINES. NOW IM NOT DRIVING UP A MOUNTAIN AT 45 DEGREES, BUT ON THE NYS THRUWAY THERE ARE PARTS OF THE ROADWAY WITH SIGNIFICANT INCLINES THAT I THOUGHT WOULDNT BE A PROBLEM WITH THIS TRUCK. I DROVE UP WITH MY DAD WHO WAS DRIVING A 02 GRAND CHEROKEE V6 AND WHEN WE WERE SIDE BY SIDE AND INCLINES CAME HE TOOK OFF WHILE I WAS GASSIN THE TRUCK AND WASNT GOING ANYWHERE. I NEVER REALLY FLOORED IT, DIDNT THINK I SHOULD HAVE TO. MY QUESTION IS THIS: IS THIS JUST THE WAY A 2000 EXPY IS?
OH, ITS A 2000 W/A 4.6 AND I HAD IT IN A4WD.

PLEASE OPINIONS APPRECIATED, IF I HAVE TO ILL TOSS A FOR SALE SIGN ON IT... I KNOW ITS A 10YR OLD TRUCK, BUT I DONT NEED ISSUES.

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
is the check engine light on ? needs injectors cleand ,plugged cats ,

OP
OP
S

SWADE23

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Nah no dummy lights on at all.... Again on the city streets when i hit the gas it goes... Doesnt buck/shake or anything...

XLTman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mines been sqweaking latley i guess this is gonna be another project i am gonna have to tackle soon swade it could be that it was in a4wd but then again our trucks arent the fastest on the block

OP
OP
S

SWADE23

Full Access Members
Reaction score
mines been sqweaking latley i guess this is gonna be another project i am gonna have to tackle soon swade it could be that it was in a4wd but then again our trucks arent the fastest on the block

honestly thats what im thinking it is.... It can tow a house, but it just isnt very fast. I NEVER THOUGHT ABOUT PUTTING IT IN 4H OR 4L I GUESS ILL GIVE IT A SHOT TONITE

Last edited:

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
Think about a programmer. I was never a believer in programmers for gas engines.... until I bought one. It makes a world of difference.

OP
OP
S

SWADE23

Full Access Members
Reaction score
think about a programmer. I was never a believer in programmers for gas engines.... Until i bought one. It makes a world of difference.

whats that? Is that like the jet chips they use in mustangs & camaros?

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
I picked up an Edge Evolution, it plugs in to the data port and allows you to change many of the engine and trans settings in the computer. The changes it made in the way the trans shifts was worth the price of the unit all by itself. I picked this one because it mounts on the dash with its own pod and can display engine data and trouble codes. I'm pretty sure that the folks who use different brands of programmers have similar results.

lakesidebluexpy

Reaction score
swade-

maybe it's just me, but.....

i'm not sure what you could have been expecting (as far as acceleration is concerned).

you have purchased a heavy truck. yours has the smallest (4.6) of the 2 v-8engines offered, and has four wheel drive(added weight). acceleration will necessarily suffer with small v-8, 4x4, and any passengers/additional weight in the truck. the jeep grand cherokee is a smaller and lighter suv by comparison.

lakeside

OP
OP
S

SWADE23

Full Access Members
Reaction score
swade-

maybe it's just me, but.....

I'm not sure what you could have been expecting (as far as acceleration is concerned).

You have purchased a heavy truck. Yours has the smallest (4.6) of the 2 v-8engines offered, and has four wheel drive(added weight). Acceleration will necessarily suffer with small v-8, 4x4, and any passengers/additional weight in the truck. The jeep grand cherokee is a smaller and lighter suv by comparison.

Lakeside

yeah i guess your right... B4 i bought the expy i was driving a 95 grand cherokee for 7yrs. And i guess i was used to that kind of acceleration. I expected similar results with a newer truck just cause it was a newer truck.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jessiev