Jerky Acceleration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jimbob1g

Reaction score
Hoping you guys can offer some wisdom on an issue I’m having.

Wife’s car is a 2017 with the 3.5 Ecoboost. I got in it a few days ago and, in addition to the usual low fuel indicator (I wonder if the woman knows how to operate a gas pump), the check engine light was on. We were heading somewhere, but I grabbed a scanner (no FORSCAN here, just a little cheap one I’ve had for a few years) and read the codes.

First code was “P0151 O2 sensor circuit low voltage Bank 2 Sensor”
Second code was “P219B Bank 2 Air-Fuel ratio imbalance”

I decided to clear them, and drive on just to see if they showed up again.

The CEL stayed off, for a few minutes, but came right back on under acceleration. Also under acceleration, I noticed that there is severe hesitation or jerking, that occurred BEFORE the CEL came back in. Just for grins, I cleared them again, and ran it again, this time with hard acceleration. The same issue happened again, this time accompanied with a flashing CEL that read as a cylinder 3 misfire. Slowing down and stopping caused it to stop flashing, and when I cleared it and took off again, there was no misfire.

SO, background complete, I decided it was time to change the plugs, 134k miles on it, this is the second time I’ve done it, and the previous owner had done it once as well. While under the hood, I went ahead and cleaned the three MAP sensors, (the one in the intake was FILTHY) and ran some injector cleaner through it.

The jerking acceleration is still happening, same codes are coming up, and once, under hard acceleration, I got a cylinder 6 misfire that after clearing, has not returned.

I have new O2 sensors ordered, what else should I be doing? Anyone ever dealt with this?

STINNETT

Reaction score
Have the coil packs been replaced? I'm leaning that way for my occasional misfire issue that is similar to what you are describing.

OP
OP
J

Jimbob1g

Reaction score
Not yet. At 134k, I’m guessing I should probably just replace the whole set?

OP
OP
J

Jimbob1g

Reaction score
Realized I never updated this thread; the culprit ended up being a cracked plug. Apparently, I cracked it when I put it in, I know this because I cracked the new one too, and had to buy yet another one. Cylinder 6 just kicked my butt.

Anyhow, a new plug, new O2 sensor, and cleaning the throttle body and MAP sensors, and she drove like a dream.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire