JLT Oil Seperator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Is it normal for the jlt 3.0 can to be almost full after only 600 miles?

That seems a little short. Idle much? Mine fills up in about 1500-2000 in the winter, but my wife remote starts it a lot.

Goes to about the oil change 3000-4000 in the Summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
For those of us who aren’t missing two cylinders, is a catch can a necessity/big improvement?

Nope. It is a direct injection thing. You have blow by, but the port injection acts as a cleaner.

lbv150

Full Access Members
Reaction score
But MUCH less benefit on a port injected motor. Especially if stock.

Your opinion I suppose. Read up on the history of the PVC system, how it was originally dumped on the road, racing engines send it to the collector, a closed PVC system is for the lazy motorists who can't clean a can and burn all the crap in their engines...

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Your opinion I suppose. Read up on the history of the PVC system, how it was originally dumped on the road, racing engines send it to the collector, a closed PVC system is for the lazy motorists who can't clean a can and burn all the crap in their engines...

I know exactly how it works. It is a waste of hardware and time on most port injected stock motors. Not to mention a can of good fuel system cleaner will take care of the deposits in a port injected motor. DI motors have no fuel washing. That is the real issue.

The catch can catches it before it can deposit. I have seen MANY DI motors with 30K and deposits I wouldn’t see in a poorly maintained 200K port injected motor.

Will it help on a Port injected motor, sure. Any amount that the regular consumer would notice before they sell the vehicle or it dies of other causes, Nope.

Yes opinion, but from 30 years of working on cars and racing. Oh, not to mention a Chemistry degree, so I also understand the science.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
All this JLT and science talk sent me out to the '17 Expedition to drain the catch can. Last time it was completely full and I've no clue what oil it sent back to the engine. This time it had about about 20ml, less than an ounce.

I stumbled across the spreadsheet I'd created a few months back and the engine has 6302 miles on it since it was catch-canned (to make that a verb), has run 492 hours (including 94 at idle), and deposited at least 270ml of stuff into the can, a bit over 9 ounces. That's about 3 ounces (the can's tiny capacity) every 2000 miles or 140 days for me since I don't drive this exclusively.

I'm toying with adding the extension to the can to up the capacity to 6 ounces. This should allow me to just have to drain it twice rather than 4x a year. Yeah, it's 10 minutes with a 10mm socket and step stool -- I can't even reach the oil dipstick over the fenders of my '17. The '07 was no problem.

On a normally aspirated engine they're engine bay eye candy at best but all the cool kids have them. Not enough oil to bother draining from the dual can setup on my lil' S2000. There are level gauges on the side of each can, unlike the JLT (a shame they're not reading this).

-- Chuck