First oil change (not an oil thread)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jenksdrummer

Reaction score
Hello; new Expedition owner; 2021 Limited 4wd. Max Tow package among other options I can't think of off hand. Memorial Day Weekend is my annual oil change and tire rotation maintenance.

Today I did my first oil change and thought I'd comment/question:

A) The drainage tray near the oil filter; kind of neat. As I used ramps to get under it easily, it drained out the back side / engine-block hole; which I was not aware existed at first...glad I felt around to see if there was a lip or something that could cause the oil to go backwards and discovered that hole existed!

B) My oil pan is aluminum, and I have a standard bolt with a rubber washer insert. Was expecting it to be plastic with the yellow plastic plug like my 2019 Mustang GT, and pre-bought a Ronin plug for it (as well as for my Mustang for the oil change that is on deck for today) in anticipating of the firehose levels of oil I was expecting to have to deal with. I'm not sure why mine has an aluminum pan and standard bolt - perhaps that was a recent change?

C) Those 2 large fiber-like panels under the engine and transmission, I removed them and their mounting brackets because they were a bit more of a PITA to deal with than I thought should be. My thought was just to remove and set them aside, but then the brackets were just a couple more bolts, so why not. Curious of any harm with leaving them off; yesterday I was thinking they're just for a bit of eco and maybe noise reduction, but now I am curious if they actually serve any other purpose - also, those clip-nuts Ford uses are junk! =/

os1kne

Reaction score
I can't help with the panels either. I believe that they're "splash shields" - theoretically protecting your engine from road debris.

I appreciate the post, as it's interesting to hear about things