Jumped timing belt?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eluther3

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 96 5.4L with a K&N Intake and magnaflow exhaust. It starts consistently on the first crank and seems to run well, but I've always felt it should have more power. The problem is that the check engine light keeps coming on and my mechanic is stumped. We have replaced the fuel pump (twice), numerous ignition coils, cleaned throttle bodies and MAFs. Sometimes it will go off for about 100 miles or more. The last time it came on after only 10 miles. The mechanic says sometimes it shows a rich condition, sometimes it shows a lean condition.

Frustrated, they suggested I take it to the dealership for a diagnosis. The dealer has suggested the engine may have jumped timing.

Does that seem plausible? I'm alway skeptical of dealerships, and I also suspect they give overly expensive estimates because they don't like working on the older trucks.

If not, what else should I check? Could this be the ECU or the wrong MAF?

OP
OP
eluther3

eluther3

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's been the starting point. Supposedly the dealer read the codes as well

1997SCEBFEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
'96?

concur on reading codes. not unusual for the early OBDII's to be 'quirky'. Same thing on my 4.6GT. came on whenever it wanted too.
source another ECU and change it out. you're probably getting some time of misfire. What did the codes reveal? how old are the plugs?

OP
OP
eluther3

eluther3

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sorry - that's a typo. It's a 97.

Recent compression test showed good on all cylinders

Spark plugs less than one year old

Codes have not been consistent. Too rich sometimes, too lean other times

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yea, but the codes are specific to each bank of cylinders.

Without them is similar to going to the doctor and telling him/her you feel like crap and not providing any additional information. All they can do at that point is toss pills your way hoping if helps.