just how far can you go after zero miles to empty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IIGood

Reaction score
In response to the original question: I don't wanna find out. LOL.

I haven't let mine go too far below the quarter tank mark not because of the fuel pump "myth" but just because I don't want to spend that much on a fill-up. LOL. Even though it all ends up evening out.

Also, at least for me, the quarter tank mark is about 20 gallons. With the fuel rewards card I have, it limits me to 20 gallons at a time to get the XX cents off per gallon. I like to fill the tank back up to the full mark so when I know I've got rewards available, I definitely don't go below 1/4 tank.

On my Mustang, I let that go until the low fuel light comes on. At that point I've got about 2 gallons left in the tank out of a 15.7 gallon tank.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's funny as heck....PB...."yes i was puckering when it was reading zero miles for close to 2 miles"

Closest I ever got was 9....and my stress level was completely out of proportion to the actual consequence of running out of gas. LOL

At least now, I'll have reason for hope!

jeff

coupe11

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not sure about the Expedition and hope to never find out, but....my 1990 F150 4WD specifically mentioned in the owner's manual NOT to let a tank go dry as it could damage the fuel pump (2 tanks in that truck).

And, I don't like to let any of mine go much below 1/2 a tank. I may stop more for gas (filled up the Coupe Tuesday, the Expedition Thursday, meant to fill up the truck yesterday and forgot) that most people, but if I ever get caught in a big traffic jam due to accidents or weather, I'll have plenty of gas to burn while staying comfortable.

It also allows me to be more choosy about brand/price of gas I put in the tank if I have plenty in the tank already when I stop.

mschiap

Reaction score
I always understood you should keep fuel level from falling low because the excess fuel keeps the fuel pump cool.

Hulkster

Reaction score
You sound like you’re one of the motorists that have no problem running out of fuel, then expect a law enforcement officer to stop and take you for gas.

I have never understood people that drive a motor vehicle with an extremely low amount of fuel.
You sound like someone that doesn’t have a solution but rather just create more problems.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I always understood you should keep fuel level from falling low because the excess fuel keeps the fuel pump cool.

Slightly an old wives tale. As long as it is still sucking fuel, no issues. Dry is bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

762mm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don’t think being run low cause fuel pump problems. Besides random claims I’ve never seen any evidence of this.

It absolutely does. People who let their tanks below 1/4 regularly will have premature fuel pump failure.

I've driven my 99 Explorer for 16 years as a daily driver and replaced the fuel filter every 30k miles + never let the tank below 1/4. The truck did a lot of city stop and go driving too, so the pump definitely worked some overtime. The fuel pump was as strong as new when I sold it. The new owner still drives this truck daily.

On the other hand, I have someone in the family who also didn't believe this "never below 1/4 tank" story and would regularly let their truck get where the needle was on "E" before heading to a gas station. I helped them change the fuel pump in their newer GMC truck after a few short years of ownership. Now they are much more diligent about it and the new pump has lasted for many years (fuel filters were done on this truck too).

Talk to any mechanic worth their salt, they will confirm. Gasoline is both a coolant and a lubricant for electric fuel pumps (the more the pump is submerged, the cooler it runs). Also, the more fuel there is in the tank, the less strain there is on the pump because of how much the pump needs to work to create proper line pressure. In sum : less gas in tank = fuel pump runs harder and hotter.

This wasn't an issue in the days of mechanical fuel pumps, though.

Last edited:

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It absolutely does. People who let their tanks below 1/4 regularly will have premature fuel pump failure.

I've driven my 99 Explorer for 16 years as a daily driver and replaced the fuel filter every 30k miles + never let the tank below 1/4. The truck did a lot of city stop and go driving too, so the pump definitely worked some overtime. The fuel pump was as strong as new when I sold it. The new owner still drives this truck daily.

On the other hand, I have someone in the family who also didn't believe this "never below 1/4 tank" story and would regularly let their truck get where the needle was on "E" before heading to a gas station. I helped them change the fuel pump in their newer GMC truck after a few short years of ownership. Now they are much more diligent about it and the new pump has lasted for many years (fuel filters were done on this truck too).

Talk to any mechanic worth their salt, they will confirm. Gasoline is both a coolant and a lubricant for electric fuel pumps (the more the pump is submerged, the cooler it runs). Also, the more fuel there is in the tank, the less strain there is on the pump because of how much the pump needs to work to create proper line pressure. In sum : less gas in tank = fuel pump runs harder and hotter.

This wasn't an issue in the days of mechanical fuel pumps, though.

That doesn’t provide much evidence besides one case and an opinion....what about the cars with externally mounted electric fuel pumps? my dad always has run his trucks down to zero. He ran his ‘08 E-350 van for 220,000 miles always running the tank to empty. Fuel pump never failed. He sold the truck to a plumber who daily drives it today at 250,000 miles get this....on the original fuel pump

Last edited:

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That doesn’t provide much evidence besides one case and an opinion....

Yep.

what about the cars with externally mounted electric fuel pumps?

This is really where the “the fuel pump is cooled by sitting in fuel” argument dies. There is nothing significantly different between the internal construction of the DC motor pump whether it’s mounted on the frame rail or in the tank. It’s the same basic pump.