Just keeps getting weirder and weirder.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Declansdaddy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I did the EGR port clean out on my 99 4.6 which cleared my P0401 code. Now when I take off under hard acceleration I feel a definite miss and my CEL light blinks but goes off. So I ran it on my scanner and got a p0300 code which is random misfire and doesn't really lead you in any particular direction on a fix. I checked my plugs and wires, all seemed good (they are less than 200 miles old). Today I drove it and every time I'd take off from a stop (not on the gas hard, just normal acceleration) it would feel as if it was bogging down a little and then I'd hear a pop, sounds almost like a cap gun going off under the hood. Definitely sounded like the left side of the motor but may be because that's where I sit. Anyways the bogging seems to clear up and it runs great after the pop. Then if I stop at a light or anything it does the same thing. Any ideas what I'm hearing pop? Initially I was thinking backfire through the intake but it doesn't sound quite like that. Like I said it's like a cap gun pop. If it is backfire what could be causing that? Can't be healthy for my motor.

OP
OP
D

Declansdaddy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well my scanner is just the cheapo $50 code reader. But I got a buddy with a modis so I can probably have him check it out for me. What are you thinking? It's running lean for some reason?

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A leak in the manifold is one possible source of a random misfire. If something was wrong with an individual cylinder it would throw a code for that cylinder.
The modis should be able to look at each sensor. While it is hooked up I would check all of them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Declansdaddy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
By manifold you mean Exhaust I assume? I do believe I have a exhaust leak on the drivers side I just can't pinpoint where it's coming from.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jefes_Shyt