Key Fob Range

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Drmayer88

Reaction score
I have a 2017 Limited with the push button start. I have severe issues with the range of the key fob. Starting with a fresh battery (in either of the two fobs i have), here are my symptoms:

- With key in my coat pocket, truck will not start and says "no key detected" until i remove fob from pocket.
- with key sitting on the console in front of the shifter, truck will start about 50% of the time without giving the no key detected message.
- with key in the little spot inside the center console, truck starts 100% of the time.

in addition, when trying to use the fob outside the truck to lock/unlock, the range is terrible. i have to be within 10 feet of the truck to lock the doors upon exit. unlocking seems to have a bit more range, but not acceptable in my mind. (when compared to every other car i've used with remote lock/unlock on the key)

Any thoughts/similar experiences? is there an antenna on a module inside the truck that may be unplugged or in the wrong position?

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2017 Limited with the push button start. I have severe issues with the range of the key fob. Starting with a fresh battery (in either of the two fobs i have), here are my symptoms:

- With key in my coat pocket, truck will not start and says "no key detected" until i remove fob from pocket.
- with key sitting on the console in front of the shifter, truck will start about 50% of the time without giving the no key detected message.
- with key in the little spot inside the center console, truck starts 100% of the time.

in addition, when trying to use the fob outside the truck to lock/unlock, the range is terrible. i have to be within 10 feet of the truck to lock the doors upon exit. unlocking seems to have a bit more range, but not acceptable in my mind. (when compared to every other car i've used with remote lock/unlock on the key)

Any thoughts/similar experiences? is there an antenna on a module inside the truck that may be unplugged or in the wrong position?

I have a 2015 Ford Expedition Limited 4x4, purchased new. It has the push-button start.

Since new, intermittently, when I enter the vehicle with the intelligent key fob in my pocket and start the vehicle - it will display “No Fob Detected” immediately after the engine starts. It has never failed to start, even when displaying the message.

I returned the vehicle to the dealer several times, including showing them a photo of the alert, but was told since there was no codes set - no repairs could be made.

I ordered the vehicle and took delivery several days after it arrived at the dealer. I assumed the batteries were fresh, but changed both of them in the fobs. The messages continue to this day.

I also intermittently receive a “Trailer Wiring Fault” message after starting. Sometimes with the fob warning, sometimes just the wiring fault message. Same reply from the dealer for that issue also. I have the HD towing package but have never hooked up a trailer or wiring to the 4 or 7 pin connectors.

The range to unlock and/or remote start the vehicle has always been very good, and not diminished.

How long have you had this problem? Are the fobs OEM Ford ones, or aftermarket? Any aftermarket electrical equipment, such as an alarm? (Mine has none).

Someone posted on this forum some time ago (I don’t have a link) that they had a problem with the trailer wiring fault messages. They removed the left (driver) side rear cup holder panel in the third row, above the wheelhouse. They found a large electrical connector with numerous wires that was not snapped together firmly until it clicked. Once the harness was pushed together firmly, the messages stopped.

I’m not sure if this may be the cause of your problem, but you may want to look at that connector.

OP
OP
D

Drmayer88

Reaction score
I have a 2015 Ford Expedition Limited 4x4, purchased new. It has the push-button start.

Since new, intermittently, when I enter the vehicle with the intelligent key fob in my pocket and start the vehicle - it will display “No Fob Detected” immediately after the engine starts. It has never failed to start, even when displaying the message.

I returned the vehicle to the dealer several times, including showing them a photo of the alert, but was told since there was no codes set - no repairs could be made.

I ordered the vehicle and took delivery several days after it arrived at the dealer. I assumed the batteries were fresh, but changed both of them in the fobs. The messages continue to this day.

I also intermittently receive a “Trailer Wiring Fault” message after starting. Sometimes with the fob warning, sometimes just the wiring fault message. Same reply from the dealer for that issue also. I have the HD towing package but have never hooked up a trailer or wiring to the 4 or 7 pin connectors.

The range to unlock and/or remote start the vehicle has always been very good, and not diminished.

How long have you had this problem? Are the fobs OEM Ford ones, or aftermarket? Any aftermarket electrical equipment, such as an alarm? (Mine has none).

Someone posted on this forum some time ago (I don’t have a link) that they had a problem with the trailer wiring fault messages. They removed the left (driver) side rear cup holder panel in the third row, above the wheelhouse. They found a large electrical connector with numerous wires that was not snapped together firmly until it clicked. Once the harness was pushed together firmly, the messages stopped.

I’m not sure if this may be the cause of your problem, but you may want to look at that connector.
OEM fobs, and it's done this pretty much since i've had the vehicle (2nd owner bought in 2018). Only aftermarket electronics is i hard wired a dash cam into the fuse box to pull power.

i haven't had the trailer wiring message, but won't hurt to take a look at that connector.

tcbrad98

Reaction score

I’m having exact same issue, same year, model and trim level!

It’s really frustrating, I’ve changed batteries several times and cleaned the remote contacts inside with alcohol several times.

It has been doing it for several weeks, it goes away for a day and then comes back for several days.