Key Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xfiles67

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do the keys for the ignition have a chip? Looking to get an extra key but unsure if I can just get one made...

Thanks

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check your owners manual for the procedure to program a new key You may need one or two original keys. You will need a blank cut key that has the chip.

Gruz7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do the keys for the ignition have a chip? Looking to get an extra key but unsure if I can just get one made...

Thanks

They do have a chip, therefore require programming either by a reputable programmer machine or with OBP... I am a part time locksmith and do car keys with chips all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lostneye

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If youhave 2 keys now you can program more without special equipement. Only one key now you have to see a locksmith/dealer.

I have bought factory Lincoln keys for my Navi and another Lincoln on ebay for cheaper than generic chipped keys locally. You email them a quality pic and they will cut them as well.

OP
OP
X

xfiles67

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have 1 physical key and 1 key fob.

I've seen the video on programming a new fob, that's pretty simple. Just going for another actual key for now.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Again check in your owners manual If you don't have one you can download a copy at
owner.ford.com

igozumn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If youhave 2 keys now you can program more without special equipement. Only one key now you have to see a locksmith/dealer.

Mostly true. There have been some places (hardware stores, etc.) that are advertising the ability to "clone" a key. What it does is mimic the programming in the single key that a person may have. They end up with 2 keys that will start the vehicle, but the vehicle still thinks there is only one key programmed. Not sure what happens if you take the 2 keys (with one being the cloned key) to the dealer.

Also, there is a limit to how many keys can be programmed to a vehicle. The first couple of years for Ford (96,97-ish....) it was 8 if I recall. Now, I believe it is 16???, but the owner's manual should have that info also. If a vehicle was used in a fleet, church, etc, there may be a bunch of keys out there and when you go to program a new one, you may be over the limit.

46L281GT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
order a elm327 wifi adapter from amazon for 15-20 bucks and order a couple of keys. then download the free forscan app and program them yourself. much cheaper than anything else.

Skauber

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you go the route of programming it yourself with FORScan, which is a very viable option if you have some basic computer skills, then be sure to follow the instructions in the FORScan forum PRECISELY, which includes testing the new key first to make sure it is compatible. Some chinese key blanks may not work. If you do not test it first, and then proceed to delete current keys and reprogram new ones, if you do not have minimum 2 working keys you will not be able to complete the programming and thus will not be able to start the vehicle.