Leak when it rains

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fasterthanlight

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My Expedition has a small pool of water on the drivers side floor after it rains.
Investigating, the A pillar is wet at the top and the water seems to come down the pillar and behind the knee kick, then down the inside foot well near the door. I cannot for the life of me, find the leak. I do have a sunroof and have opened/closed it. I believe that it is sealing around the glass. I also looked around the weather stripping near the top of the door when it is opened.

I have not found where this is coming from.

Has anyone else experienced this leak, or known about it?

Big White

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sure do, in my case the windshield became de-bonded from it's rightful place. Take a compressed air pistol from your compressor and blow it INSIDE the car all along the windshield seam. You will hear on the outside where it is getting through. You can also push on the glass, and see it move where it becomes detached. it wont move much, but if it is de-bonded it will move a little bit.
If the above is true, then its off to the auto glass shop.

Also, look carefully at the roof. They have been known to corrode and leak, particularly at the front of the valleys stamped in the roof, especially in salt country.

Last edited:

Butch Smith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Be sure and look at the drain holes for the sunroof. When you open the roof look towards the front and you will see one hole on each side of the car. Take a can of compressed air, stick the little hose into the hole and blow. That should take care of the problem.

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

fasterthanlight

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. On a nice sunny day, I opened up the sunroof and found those two drain holes. I took a can of air and blew air down the opening. Hopefully this will clear the issue.
I am not sure where this is supposed to come out at the bottom, but if needed, should I take a length of plastic and snake it?

rexster314

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What I've done with my other sunroofs was to blow the tubes out, then get a cup or two of water and slowly pour it around the inside frame of the open sunroof. If the drains were cleared, the water will immediately run off. If not, then you still got a little more work to do.

superexpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What I've done with my other sunroofs was to blow the tubes out, then get a cup or two of water and slowly pour it around the inside frame of the open sunroof. If the drains were cleared, the water will immediately run off. If not, then you still got a little more work to do.

This is what ii do! I had to do it today and when i did this with water it slowly draind out so I took my air compressor with tool I made just for this and blew it. now it will be good till next year.

OP
OP
F

fasterthanlight

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What a weird thing. When I opened up the sunroof, there were no obstructions at all in there, yet I did the task.

Good news. It has rained twice here in the last week and I have not had any pooling.
Great advice all.