Sun roof leaking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Port Tack

Reaction score
The sunroof in my 2013 Expedition broke while open and would not close. Something in the track broke. Did some research and found out it was rather expensive to fix. I only use the truck to tow a boat and could care less if it had a sunroof. I said to the Ford dealer that all I need is the damn thing closed and really leave the motor disconnected, didn't want someone doing the same thing again. They closed it and a few weeks later I went to use the truck and there was water on dash and ceiling was wet. I got in touch with the Ford dealer that charged over $200 to close the window and they said...
"I remember you, you said you didn't care if the window worked you just wanted it closed so that's all we did" Now I'm asking you all here, doesn't closing the window mean that water isn't going to come in? They are now saying too bad, we aren't going to take into consideration that we already charged you over $200, we closed your window and now it will be $200 to diagnose the problem and if it is the track that needs replacement it will be in the neighborhood of $1000. I used gorilla tape and neatly taped the entire window from the top and after a couple rainstorms all seems fine, think it will last?

bloodhound

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I presume all they did was drag the window closed, but if the track is broken the glass won't push up into the roof to seal. My 2014 sunroof track broke in 2018. I dragged the window closed, same thing, it leaked. I forked over $1,800 for the replacement. Then I pulled the fuse so it could never be opened again. I'd say with yours being 11 years old now, the gorilla tape idea isn't too bad versus paying to fix it. And I guarantee it'll be a good bit more than $1,000. The part alone is about $1,200 and the whole headliner has to come down to replace it. Heck Id rather get body shop to throw a piece of sheet metal over it and weld it up.

Fasttimes

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The sunroof in my 2013 Expedition broke while open and would not close. Something in the track broke. Did some research and found out it was rather expensive to fix. I only use the truck to tow a boat and could care less if it had a sunroof. I said to the Ford dealer that all I need is the damn thing closed and really leave the motor disconnected, didn't want someone doing the same thing again. They closed it and a few weeks later I went to use the truck and there was water on dash and ceiling was wet. I got in touch with the Ford dealer that charged over $200 to close the window and they said...
"I remember you, you said you didn't care if the window worked you just wanted it closed so that's all we did" Now I'm asking you all here, doesn't closing the window mean that water isn't going to come in? They are now saying too bad, we aren't going to take into consideration that we already charged you over $200, we closed your window and now it will be $200 to diagnose the problem and if it is the track that needs replacement it will be in the neighborhood of $1000. I used gorilla tape and neatly taped the entire window from the top and after a couple rainstorms all seems fine, think it will last?
$40 for a Sunroof repair kit and $45 for a sunroof gasket and a couple of days of your time and it'll be fixed. It's a pain to take the head-liner down and do the job, but not terribly hard. Search on here and you'll find instructions on those that did it including my self. Watched a couple of YouTube videos and bought the kit on Amazon. The $1000 they charge is for the labor.

Once completed I tested it once, pulled the fuse and don't plan on opening it again.

OP
OP
P

Port Tack

Reaction score
I presume all they did was drag the window closed, but if the track is broken the glass won't push up into the roof to seal. My 2014 sunroof track broke in 2018. I dragged the window closed, same thing, it leaked. I forked over $1,800 for the replacement. Then I pulled the fuse so it could never be opened again. I'd say with yours being 11 years old now, the gorilla tape idea isn't too bad versus paying to fix it. And I guarantee it'll be a good bit more than $1,000. The part alone is about $1,200 and the whole headliner has to come down to replace it. Heck Id rather get body shop to throw a piece of sheet metal over it and weld it up.
HAHA. I was contemplating the sheet metal and weld job as well but figured in time I would have a rusting mess. I was also thinking I might be able to drive a wedge in to hold the glass up to seal, it's only the drivers side that drops down a little.

pitdexion

Reaction score
The glass does not keep water out. Water enters continually and runs out the drains. The frame(track) is cracked/broken. A new sunroof or sealing the glass to the roof are your options.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire