LED Mirror Pod Conversion Puddle Lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rollingbear

Reaction score
Hi there, i just did all the interior lights LED conversion to green on my 2003 expedition and then wanted to do the mirror puddle lights to match, but i found out they are the little pods and you cant easily remove the lens to change the bulbs and they are small 36mm bulbs and wouldn't be very bright to replace them with the available LEDs.(the ones i found that would fit on ebay were only 6 lumens) So i decided to do a custom conversion and share it with you guys here. I ordered 4) 3w green 194 bulbs for $5.30 shipped from china @120 lumens ea. the conversion wasn't hard and only took about an hour.

step1 remove the mirror light pod.

one i was able to do it w/o removing the lower shell from the mirror. just by popping the pod out with a screwdriver the other side i had to remove the lower shell to pop the retaining finger in to get the pod out.
To remove the bottom cover there is a small tang that must be pushed in at the bottom before the cover can be removed. it is about 2/3 out on the bottom of the mirror and can be seen if you tilt the mirror up and look in the bottom with a flashlight. push it in at the bottom..push it forward and down and pull the shell down at the same time. you don't have to completely remove the bottom cover. just pull it down enough to pop it out

step2 gently remove the clear cover.

i used a pair of needle nose pliers around the rim and gently twisted the cover up to break the glue. i was lucky and both popped off easily w/o breaking.

step3 remove the reflector

step 4 drill 2) 3/8" holes
about an 1/8" away from the bulb retainer prongs

step5 glue in the LEDs from inside. i used superglue

step6 wire the LEDs and soldier the leads

I used regular 22ga wire on the first one but ended up using a metal trash bag twist tie instead and it worked great (same size wire as the LEDs)

step7 test and glue the lens back on and install.

it is really bright and matches my interior lights nicely. I am waiting for some 5630 green led strip now and will add a strip under the deck and under the rockers and in the grill to all come on with the interior lights.

Attachments

• pod1.jpg
    pod1.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 204
  • pod2.jpg
    pod2.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 174
  • pod3.jpg
    pod3.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 163
  • pod4.jpg
    pod4.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 390
  • pod5.jpg
    pod5.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 178
OP
OP
rollingbear

rollingbear

Reaction score
here are the rest of the pictures

Attachments

• pod6.jpg
    pod6.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 243
  • pod7.jpg
    pod7.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 255
  • pod8.jpg
    pod8.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 150
  • pod9.jpg
    pod9.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 167

Mikes05expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think I'm gonna attempt it in the spring time since I don't have access to my garage at the moment.

OP
OP
rollingbear

rollingbear

Reaction score
the only led bulbs i found that would fit were 6 lumens each on ebay. these are 120 lumens each x2 and only cost me 5bucks shipped. and it only took me 1/2 hour to do. these are super bright and stretch out at least 12 feet to the side in the dark. so i am happy. but each to his own...