LED tail lights seep moisture

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bobward757

Reaction score
Hello friends
On my 2019 platinum, I have replaced both rear LED tail light assembly’s twice under warranty. Thank God because of moisture seeping in there..

Now that I’m out of warranty looks like I’m SOL.

Any solutions to 1. Get the moisture out and 2. To seal them better?

The weekly car wash is killing them.

TIA. Bob

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
remove the housings and I guess run some silicone along the seams of the housings neatly? or any point of water entry?

Bodyman

Reaction score
My right one has done that twice . I remove it and blow compressed air in it , then set it in the sun. Takes a little while but better than buying a new one !

Wangle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As I understand it, they are not “sealed“. I often have condensation inside. I was told it was perfectly normal. Hasn’t hurt anything in over four years. And, it has helped cure my OCD! I ignore it now.

Ellison Brown III

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was having a similar problem. First I upgraded the reverse light bulb to LED. Worked great. Then, I got the Anzo LED lights. Worked/ looked great initially. Then, I started getting moisture inside. They sent me a new set, and the same thing a few weeks later.

After further inspection I found it was an issue with the aftermarket Sylvania bulbs. The fit was so tight (getting them to fully lock was kind of a bear) that the rubber seal was slightly deformed once in place. Ended up putting a small bead of silicone around the edge of the bulb base. Been approximately a year now with no new issues.

Michael D Morris

Reaction score
Well, I get moisture inside my 2019 LED tail lights and I've never replaced the bulbs. Horseshit Ford design

GregTu

Reaction score
Not necessarily related, but FYI; We took delivery of a new Cayman GTS 4.0 last November. Shortly after getting the car to Chicago we had some condensation in the LED taillights.

After freaking out I learned that these lights can’t be completely sealed because of changes in atmospheric pressure and changes in altitude they need to be able to equalize the pressure inside. During the several weeks sitting at a German port and on its ocean cruise to the US the high humidity will penetrate the housing and when the temperature drops below the dew point… condensation.

I drove the car with the lights on for a couple days and the condensation cleared. It hasn’t reoccurred, but she lives in a heated garage and the humidity in the Chicago area isn’t as bad as say the gulf coast.

I suspect the lights would have to be exposed to humidity for an extended period of time for the humidity in the light to equalize with outside air and the temperature would then have to drop below the dew point. A car wash was not long enough to recreate the problem on the Cayman even after 90 minutes at a very humid indoor wash/detailer and then taking the car out in 35F.

BTW, if you’re in the Chicago area and like to hand wash your cars, this is an alternative to the automatic car washes with brushes, especially when it gets cold: https://www.baysatcsw.com

Hope this might help.

josedirte4

Reaction score
Condensation in the tail or headlights is actually a part of the design. See below from the manual. While condensation in the housing is not ideal, it hasn't affected my LED's and also only last a few minutes after driving.

Condensation in the Exterior Front Lamps and Rear Lamps
Exterior front lamps and rear lamps have vents to accommodate normal changes in air pressure.
Condensation can be a natural by-product of this design. When moist air enters the lamp assembly through the vents, there is a possibility that condensation can occur when the temperature is cold. When normal condensation occurs, a fine mist can form on the interior of the lens. The fine mist eventually clears and exits through the vents during normal operation.
Clearing time may take as long as 48 hours under dry weather conditions.
Examples of acceptable condensation are:
  • The presence of a fine mist (no streaks, drip marks or large droplets).
  • A fine mist covers less than 50% of the lens.
Examples of unacceptable condensation are:
  • A water puddle inside the lamp.
  • Streaks, drip marks or large droplets present on the interior of the lens.
If you see any unacceptable condensation, have your vehicle checked by an authorized dealer.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire