LED TailGate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WHOISMOOTOO

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here ya go, here are the pics that I said I would post. Like I said no screws needed to hold it in place, just lift the corner of the bumper cover and slip it betweeen.

Excuse how dirty she is! We have had a couple of what we like to call " 10 mile rains " ( one drop every 10 miles ):jester: and it is our " dust bowl season " so keeping her clean has been a PITA!
that does look pretty baller!

OP
OP
GAINMOB

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah...those were the ones it looked like he had...just dont see where it would be feasible to mount it...at the very bottom of the tail gate and run the wire to the 3rd brake light...or on the top of the bumper and tap into the brakes?

what are you using to keep it in place...i've read screws...im not screwing into my tailgate...maybe the bumper...the black cover on the bumper

Racenut

Full Access Members
Reaction score
yeah...those were the ones it looked like he had...just dont see where it would be feasible to mount it...at the very bottom of the tail gate and run the wire to the 3rd brake light...or on the top of the bumper and tap into the brakes?

what are you using to keep it in place...i've read screws...im not screwing into my tailgate...maybe the bumper...the black cover on the bumper

The strip comes on a plastic C channel, if you look in the pic with my hand in it you can see the bumper cover lifts up just enough to " slip " the C channel underneith it. If you look really close in the second pic you can see the C channel.

I do not have any screws or tape or anything holding it, the only thing that holds it is the bumper cover its self.

And the easiest way to power it is cut off the end and wire it to the brake lights.

OP
OP
GAINMOB

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok...now...should i make it just a brake light by tapping into 3rd brake light...that would be easiest unless i can get it to go on the black cover on the rear bumper and run the wires through to connect to the tail lights for the reverse and blinking function...i'll see when i get it...

Racenut

Full Access Members
Reaction score
ok...now...should i make it just a brake light by tapping into 3rd brake light...that would be easiest unless i can get it to go on the black cover on the rear bumper and run the wires through to connect to the tail lights for the reverse and blinking function...i'll see when i get it...

If you try to connect it only to the 3rd brake light you will loose half of the functions of the bar.

The 3rd brake light is just that nothing more than a brake light, but these bars are a running light, brake light and turn signals. The best thing to do is to tap into your brake lights so that you can get all of the functions.

OP
OP
GAINMOB

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok...figured i can run the c channel along plastic step on the rear bumper and run the wires inside of that to the taillights...at the same time i'll run the wires for my reverse cam...

jammy75

Reaction score
Thanks for the pics on the LED's. Now i want to know how you mounted your hellas behind the grill. It is tight. The only thing to mount it to is the plasic/fiberglass grill support.

SFTX

Reaction score
If you look in my album you will see that I have one.

Does anyone have a suggestion for brand name or model? I want to order one of these light bars, but the ones I've seen are not flexible. And does the 60" light bar fit? It looks like a 49" would be more appropriate for a 2006 Expedition, but I'm not sure.

OP
OP
GAINMOB

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i think the 49" would be more fitting as well...we have a seller on here that just posted about LED light bar...i think GraphX in the vendor section...for brand...no clue on which is better...i've seen a couple names just dont remember...i think RECON makes one

jjbusa

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i think the 49" would be more fitting as well...we have a seller on here that just posted about LED light bar...i think GraphX in the vendor section...for brand...no clue on which is better...i've seen a couple names just dont remember...i think RECON makes one

I want one 2 let me know how it goes. you should do a write up on the install.