left turn signal not working - everything else works

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trader14

Reaction score
hey guys - i have a 08 navigator which is pretty close to the expedition. I'm having a turn signal issue, my left turn signal doesn't function at all and when turn signal is in neutral position my right turn signal goes on and when i signal right it also works properly but i put it to signal left to keep the right from going on. For a small period of time when the left worked, didn't work, worked, didn't work...anytime the left worked before going bad the neutral turn signal issue would go away.

I've checked the bulb and it is fine, hazards and everything else works as it should. There wasn't much corrosion in the socket but cleaned a little out. On our and the expedition models there is no multifunction switch in the steering column. Outside of replacing the turn signal assembly, examining the harness and socket any thoughts on what to look at?

Very much hoping it's not the junction box needing to be reprogrammed just for a left turn signal

Plati

Reaction score
Unless you stumble on something ... only way to find root cause is to get a wiring diagram & multimeter and start looking for evidence to diagnose. My two cents.

OP
OP
T

trader14

Reaction score
:welcome: TO THE FORUM, trader14:

A simple and inexpensive activity would be to replace the flasher unit. May not be your problem, but it is a start.

https://www.autoblog.com/2016/01/19/symptoms-of-a-bad-or-failing-hazard-turn-signal-flasher/

thanks for the welcome!!! I don't think the expedition or navigator have a relay switch the relay is now part of a computer module. I know everyone has one for sale but i'm pretty sure they are wrong. When i want to do work on my nav i look at exp vids to learn.

I'm to the point where i am literally looking at wireless signals that can be put in the light housing and operated via remote control

98eb5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Gen 1 have a known issue (vids out there) from the tilt steering, the back & forth kinking ending up in a break in the wiring.

When i took off the column cover just to have a look, it was evident which wire was the issue.