LF Power Window Won't Go Down

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

djtroz

Reaction score
The other three windows work fine. The driver's side front will not go down. I tried replacing the switch and nothing. I removed the panel and put my hand over the motor. The motor (without pressing the switches) was very warm. While holding the bottom of the motor, I pressed up on the switch and could feel the motor engaging but being the windows was all the way up, it couldn't go any farther. I then repeatedly pressed down and didn't feel or hear anything.

Any ideas? My neighbor said he's seen a defect in Lincolns where a plastic gear strips out. I was considering pulling the motor out and checking it but before I did, wondering if I can test any of the wiring first... just don't know which...

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
djtroz, I know this is going to sound silly, but what I want you to do is to use your hand or a rubber mallet and hit the door panel about where the motor is and then attempt to operate the window. does the window move now? If so, then that confirms a bad motor. Granted, based on what you are describing, because you are feeling the motor engage in the up direction, all the wiring is good. Since you replaced the switch, that is good (provided you didn't get a bad switch straight out of the box). So, that only leaves the window motor as being bad.

Hope this helps.

OP
OP
D

djtroz

Reaction score
Thanks for the replys everyone. My wife took the truck this morning. When she gets back tonight, I'll trying hitting the motor area a few times with a rubber mallot as suggested and let you guys know.

BakerEdition

EF Chaplain
Reaction score
I used to have a mini-van and I had to kick the lower front side of the door with the side of my foot to make the window go up or down...gave the van to my daughter in law....and thats still the procedure....LMAO

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmdunham2