Lift for 00 Expy with 4 wheel air suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
M

masterhacker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here's the rims im looking into getting, my buddy has a set lying around hell sell me cheap:
http://www.wheelsnext.com/wheels-ri...%20%285%5FLug%29-Machined%20w%7C%20Black.html

Those rims are stock sized (17X9 Offset: -12mm Backspacing: 4.56")
so I couldn't clear 35's with a 3" body lift? Could I clear 35's with a 16X8 rim and a 3" body lift?

Or would i be better off going with a 33" tire

Also will I need a special body lift kit cause mine has air susp (i would assume not, but you never know)

But if I want to do a susp lift I can get a shock that is 4" longer than the one in the lift? can anyone pint me in the right direction for such a thing.

Sorry for all the questions and such, this is my first ford truck, Ive owned 2 Chevy (85 K10, and 84 k20 suburban) I put a lift on the 85, and it was pretty straight forward, compared to getting one for a expedition with air susp

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
Master, 33's are an easy fit and don't even need the body lift. When you step up to the 35's, that is where the world changes a lot. You can probably get away with a 17x8 rim, but the stock 17x7.5 is going to be a really tight fit and may end up with rubbing as the tire will be pulled in a little bit more than with an 8" rim and your problem is going to be rubbing between the tire and the frame of the truck. So, a body lift is not going to fix that.

Going with any 8" wide rim with 4.5" of backspacing will make a 35x12.5" tire with a 3" body lift. Things are going to be tight and may require a little bit of tweaking (cutting of the front valance for example more than likely, possibly trimming of the metal part of the bumper, but not likely), but it will work. For example, when you twist the truck up all the way, odds are you will not be able to slide your finger between the tire and the top of the rear wheel well as the tire will be that close to the body. Hence why I am so specific with what will work and what won't.

Canadian Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Im looking for a suspension lift (5-6") for my 2000 expedition that I just got in a trade, I cant find a kit that says it works with the 4 wheel air suspension, Ive found some that say they work with rear air bags

Also does the front air suspension use different mounts than the regular suspension? and if so can I swap over to them (with out allot of dicking around)

also what size tires can you clear wit out rubbing with a 6" lift. I really don't want to do a body lift, they are worthless

THANKS!

Your Expy has air bags on all 4 corners right now from stock????
I don't think they made that???!!

OP
OP
M

masterhacker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Canadian Expy:
It uses a front air shock:
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll269/masterhacker1989/Copyof2011-07-11111403.jpg

So let me get this straight, using a 17x8 rim with 4.5" of back spacing and a 3" lift I can clear 35's that are 12.5" wide, with absolutely no rubbing , with some minor trimming (i would be OK using something skinnier, if I could avoid trimming). is there a certain tire you would recommend for this? (or like a tire code)

Or I can Clear 33's using 17X8 rims with 4.5" of backspacing without a lift

As I said, Ive only installed 1 lift kit on a truck, and I bought a set of tires/rims for it from a guy with the same size lift

Canadian Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I never knew they came with front air shocks!!? Well if it's still torsion bar then any kit that fits rear air will work, Fabtech I know makes that kit 6"

OP
OP
M

masterhacker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It has the torsion bars, word on the street is that I need to track down a shock that is 4" longer than the one that comes with a lift kit to install a susp lift

OP
OP
M

masterhacker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Heres what you have to do, get a standard suspension lift kit for it, I believe everything in the rear bolts up but the front end you will have to get shocks either 4 inches longer then thr 6 inch lift shocks or you have to custom mount the top shock mount 4 inches lower so the shocks work!

See thats what dude said about it

OP
OP
M

masterhacker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Btw, could someone take a pic of their standard front shocks (with out lift) I want to compare the mount/shock to mine

jacks3am

Full Access Members
Reaction score
how about some custom valved fox 2.0's or somthing with a custom length

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edyk1986