Lifter not moving / broken off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ramosdad

Reaction score
I have a 98 5.4. Started makong this horrible sound out of no where looked inside of vaccum line coming from passenger side valve cover. Definitely 1 lifter is off. I can mo venit around with my finger. What is my best option. This is my daily and i have 2 kids. I can not be without a ride long. Help me pleeeeaaassseeee!

MikeA

Full Access Members
Reaction score
looked inside of vaccum line coming from passenger side valve cover. Definitely 1 lifter is off. I can mo venit around with my finger.

If you can tell by looking inside of a vaccum line and be sure that only 1 lifter is off, you should be giving classes on mechanics and teach us old guys these mad skills.

Passenger side valve cover has a pcv in it, when you remove that, you should not be able to touch any moving parts, because there is a metal box directly below the pcv to prevent motor oil from getting splashed up into the pcv, sucking oil out of the engine.

How does a lifter come off? Do you mean a rocker arm/fulcrum?

If you feel something moving around with your finger, you may have to remove the valve cover to figure out what it is your feeling, there should be nothing in there to move, unless the old pcv rubber gasket fell in, take a flashlight and look in the hole.

Your best option is to explain your problem better to get some sort of answer to help figure this out, because what you typed made no sense what so ever.

Last edited:

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Replace the PCV valve. $7 and and two minute job. They rattle and there is no lifters on this engine. It is a overhead cam engine. If you had a bad cylinder/valve spring, the truck would be shaking and running rough.

MikeA

Full Access Members
Reaction score
there is no lifters on this engine. It is a overhead cam engine. .

No lifters on a 5.4, interesting, are you sure?

There is a overhead cam , directly below that is a rocker/fulcrum, that sits on top of the valve assembly on one end, and the other end it sits on, oh what is that part called, can you tell me?.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
The Triton uses roller rockers. They use cam followers and hydraulic lash adjusters. A bad follower could make a "lifter noise", but I doubt it. Using the wrong oil, that is too thick and high rev, can damage the followers. An Extreme case is, one could of come off.

Last edited:

MikeA

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They use cam followers and hydraulic lash adjusters.

You mean lifters/lash adjusters

Both answers are correct, but to say they do not have lifters is misleading, considering one could say lifters or lash adjusters and still be mechanically correct.

OP
OP
ramosdad

ramosdad

Reaction score
I am by no means a certified mechanic and do not claim to be. I am just trying to get some help. I am removing the valve cover today to see what exactly i have on my hands...now that i have said that...I thought this was a forum for Expedition owners to ask for pointers, advice, ect. Maybe what i said did not make any sense to someone who knows about this particular engine. I do not and will admit it. I explained my problem the best way i knew how with the knowledge i have. I apologize if it was not "mechanically correct "

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Apology not needed.

You are trying your best to explain your problem. And that is better than some others do..

Once you get the valve cover off take a picture of the problem and post it I am sure that it will better explain what may be wrong.

MikeA

Full Access Members
Reaction score
ramosdad,
As Bedrck47 said, apology not needed.

You can get alot of help here on your Expedition, and as I said , you will have to explain your problem better, other wise it will be hard for anyone to help you with your problem(s).
7160059_ptx_82180_pri_larg.jpg

Just a heads up, when you put your valve cover back on, I suggest you use some RTV silicone on the back side of the valve cover, this will help hold the gasket in place when you reinstall, because the gasket will, more then not, hit the last camshaft cap bolts, knocking the gasket out of it's groove and you will end up with a oil leak .