Lifting a 2008 - Tire/wheel questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
B

briandye

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Also, what kind of issues will I be seeing with the larger tires? Some people on other vehicles swear you have to re-gear the rear end, get a tune to adjust the computer for the larger tires, etc. If any of that is needed, it’s gonna put this project on hold for sure, as that’s all decently expensive stuff.

MrBlargMan

Reaction score
You shouldn't need to change your gears. The ecoboost provides plenty of torque. I run 35x12.5x17's on my 2003 with a 5.4L 2V and the stock 3.73 gearing is still just fine. The dealership can use their scan tool to change the tire size settings so that your speedometer reads correctly. A new "tune" is not necessary. There are some tire size calculators out there that will also calculate your difference in speedometer reading if you choose not to have the settings changed in the computer.

OP
OP
B

briandye

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’m not worried about the speedo, I have Waze going 99.9% of my drive anyways, and will be fanning an iPad into the dash which will also have a GPS speedo on the OBDII program I use. I just didn’t know if it would affect shift points and all that type of stuff like some trucks seem to do.

I don’t have the Ecoboost, I gotta have a V8 in something this big. (I know the ecoboost probably walks laps around the old 5.4, but getting in this thing, turning the key, I need to hear that V8! lol)

Ordered the lift, now I’m pricing out tires. Looking for sites that offer the financing options, and I’ll just try to take advantage of the typical “100 days same as cash” deals they have.

Guess I’m going with an 11.5” tire for now. I would be too nervous with spacers, and I wouldn’t be 100% happy with 33’s.

OP
OP
B

briandye

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, happy to say I have the lift/level kit, as well as 4 Nitto Terra Grappler G2 tires on the way. 35x11.50R20. Was approved from one of those no-check financing companies, with a 90 day same as cash option, the only downfall is a small "initial fee" but reviews for them had no issues AS LONG AS YOU PAID within the 90 days, which I will. Id actually probably have them paid off here in the next month, but my next two checks are for all my big stuff like mortgage, and utilities.

Will post pics, and/or questions if I have any!

Thanks again for your guys' help!

J Ski

3.5plati
Reaction score
Well, happy to say I have the lift/level kit, as well as 4 Nitto Terra Grappler G2 tires on the way. 35x11.50R20. Was approved from one of those no-check financing companies, with a 90 day same as cash option, the only downfall is a small "initial fee" but reviews for them had no issues AS LONG AS YOU PAID within the 90 days, which I will. Id actually probably have them paid off here in the next month, but my next two checks are for all my big stuff like mortgage, and utilities.

Will post pics, and/or questions if I have any!

Thanks again for your guys' help!
Congrats can’t wait to see the set up!

Rebel4fun

Reaction score
I'm getting the Rancho quick lift strut assembly and icon front control arms with the delta Unibal. Front is 1.25 and rear is 0.75 inches. Anyone have any experience with these?

Right now I'm sitting stock with 33inch tires.

20180303_155417.jpg

OP
OP
B

briandye

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That is one of the best looking aftermarket bumpers I have ever seen in my life. I've only ever saw them flat black/bedlined which doesn't necessarily look bad, but damn yours looks perfect!

Vancouver Bob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That is one of the best looking aftermarket bumpers I have ever seen in my life. I've only ever saw them flat black/bedlined which doesn't necessarily look bad, but damn yours looks perfect!

Thanks, Brian! Looks perfect from a distance :). Bedliner was an option but I didn't want to add a third color to the color scheme so planned on painting it to match some how. Ended up with what I have. It's just rattle canned right now. Still need a little fine tuning on the gaps... then I'll have it blasted and painted.