Lifting a 2008 - Tire/wheel questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sccritterkiller

Reaction score
Mines a 2008, I’ll have to run out and buy a tap and die set. Could’ve came in handy a few times now, and brake lines aren’t something I want to Jerry rig up.

I watched the (Readylift?) installation video, they took the front axle nuts completely off for more room down there. I guess we’ll play it by ear and see what I have to/don’t have to do!

There is also a good video on YouTube by stage3motorsports I think...it matched what was under my 10. Word of advice go to Habor freight and spent 60 bucks on the tap and die set...they r ok for a few uses but the important thing is you get a good assortment of sizes standard and metric...if you find yourself using one size over and over I would get a good set in that size..but random every day fixes you can't beat it...

OP
OP
B

briandye

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Maybe that’s the video I saw then. They have quite a few products for the third gens, and some nice how-to videos.

I’ll check that set out at HF, thanks!

Rebel4fun

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity... what does the Icon control arms buy you? I went with the 3.5/2.5...

View attachment 24353

From what I understand it helps with the travel of your suspension. The uni ball has alot more angle articulation from the standard ball joint.
Basically built for less restriction when your tire goes way the hell up and way the hell bottoms out.

J Ski

3.5plati
Reaction score
From what I understand it helps with the travel of your suspension. The uni ball has alot more angle articulation from the standard ball joint.
Basically built for less restriction when your tire goes way the hell up and way the hell bottoms out.
I think the icon coilovers are only max 2.5” adjustment. Get more lift out of a 3/2 like Readylift up front for bigger tires but yes more articulation with icons than standard OEM components

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mines a 2008, I’ll have to run out and buy a tap and die set. Could’ve came in handy a few times now, and brake lines aren’t something I want to Jerry rig up.

I watched the (Readylift?) installation video, they took the front axle nuts completely off for more room down there. I guess we’ll play it by ear and see what I have to/don’t have to do!

Thats all crap, detach the sway bar on one end, loosen but don't detach everything connected to the knuckle, then get the upper control arm actually out of the knuckle... and you're pretty much done

Strut should now just come out when unbolted

Use a 2x6 for leverage to pry it all back together

J Ski

3.5plati
Reaction score
Thats all crap, detach the sway bar on one end, loosen but don't detach everything connected to the knuckle, then get the upper control arm actually out of the knuckle... and you're pretty much done

Strut should now just come out when unbolted

Use a 2x6 for leverage to pry it all back together
I agree. I would be very cautious removing that axle nut. No need to do that. Loosen everything and let it drop to remove the strut

Sccritterkiller

Reaction score
I agree. I would be very cautious removing that axle nut. No need to do that. Loosen everything and let it drop to remove the strut

I didnt need to loosen axle nut to get it out...I really didn't want to mess with it either but to get the assemblies with puck back in I had to loosen it. I did not remove it just backed out to end of threads...its not that big a deal.

OP
OP
B

briandye

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok, I’m stuck.

Aside from the shit lugnnuts, everything is going great so far. However, I’m stuck at the lower shock but/bolt. Does anybody know what size the nut and bolt is? I need to have a friend pick me up and drop me off those size sockets. I didn’t realize they were that huge. Largest I have on hand is 1” and it’s bigger than that.

Found a few old posts but they list quite a few sizes.

Mine is a 2008.

OP
OP
B

briandye

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Also - is the rear the same size? If not, and it needs anything larger than a 22mm or 1 inch, please share details on that size as well.

Thanks a ton.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Ok, I’m stuck.

Aside from the shit lugnnuts, everything is going great so far. However, I’m stuck at the lower shock but/bolt. Does anybody know what size the nut and bolt is? I need to have a friend pick me up and drop me off those size sockets. I didn’t realize they were that huge. Largest I have on hand is 1” and it’s bigger than that.

Found a few old posts but they list quite a few sizes.

Mine is a 2008.

30mm actual, 1 3/16" should also work... other side is a 28mm i think, you can sorta get away with 1 1/8"

Get it in deep impact iirc, you need to tighten that thing to like 350 lbs