Lighting anyone?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sandbuster

Reaction score
Nubie here (to this forum). Just purchased a 2017 Expedition EL Limited 4WD. Think I love it.. but the headlights are not up to my standards. Any recommendations on enhanced headlights? Thank..

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Huge topic on this forum with many threads. I suggest a little research first (search box top right of this page)
Then when you have questions about certain ones for your vehicle, bring it back and post here.

Welcome to the forum

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Nubie here (to this forum). Just purchased a 2017 Expedition EL Limited 4WD. Think I love it.. but the headlights are not up to my standards. Any recommendations on enhanced headlights? Thank..

I have a 2015 Expedition Limited 4x4 - same headlamps, and I think they are very good.

Are you sure the lamps are adjusted properly? The vertical beam is very easy to adjust.

B-McD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Stock headlights on my 2016 were dismal at best. I upgraded to LED bulbs but I also have the projector style lenses - which makes a big difference in beam pattern when going to LED. If you have the basic reflector style assembly, LEDs make "look" brighter but don't throw the beam as well. Good luck!!

OP
OP
S

sandbuster

Reaction score
I have a 2015 Expedition Limited 4x4 - same headlamps, and I think they are very good.

Are you sure the lamps are adjusted properly? The vertical beam is very easy to adjust.
If you bought yours used they may already have been updated? Anyway it's not a case of adjustment they just have not been updated to the newer HIDs which put out a tremendous amount of light which is helpful to old geezers like me. Amazon has a plethora of updated lamps for the Expedition but I'll follow the administrator's advice and search the threads for others who have gone down this path. I just came from a 2019 4Runner that I updated the lights on and what a huge difference that made for night driving.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you bought yours used they may already have been updated? Anyway it's not a case of adjustment they just have not been updated to the newer HIDs which put out a tremendous amount of light which is helpful to old geezers like me. Amazon has a plethora of updated lamps for the Expedition but I'll follow the administrator's advice and search the threads for others who have gone down this path. I just came from a 2019 4Runner that I updated the lights on and what a huge difference that made for night driving.

I bought my Expedition new.

My wife bought a new 2014 Impala 2LTZ with the standard HID headlamps - and I’ll admit, they put out a very good headlamp beam.

Over the years, I do recall reading a lot of various posts about the headlamps here. You will probably find a lot of information on a search. Good luck - let us know what you do.

OP
OP
S

sandbuster

Reaction score
I bought my Expedition new.

My wife bought a new 2014 Impala 2LTZ with the standard HID headlamps - and I’ll admit, they put out a very good headlamp beam.

Over the years, I do recall reading a lot of various posts about the headlamps here. You will probably find a lot of information on a search. Good luck - let us know what you do.
Appreciate your feedback! Will report back on whatever improvements (or mistakes) I make on the Expedition lighting..

Old Guy

Reaction score
I replace all my headlight lamps (before LEDs) with Sylvania silver star ultra. Its just like replacing a burnt out bulb.
They are a whiter, briter light, and don't require having a re-aim or replacementb housing. You will see a night and day difference. (pun intentional)
ANY of the big name auto parts stores like Oreily's or even Walmart carries them. There may be GE or other lamps which are good, however, the Sylvania silver star ultra is what I have experience with.

fuzzmanmatt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I bought some projectors from Amazon, they made a HUGE difference compared to stock. I put LED bulbs in them and the pattern wasn't great, so I stuck halogens back in it. Still not as good as the factory projectors on my old Milan, but way WAY better than stock.

colorow

Reaction score
I wish the factory would come out with a kit for the dealer to install daytime driving lights in my 2017 Expedition EL XLT.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Junker