Limited Slip Differential *AND* Traction Control?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kythri

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Can anyone educate me on how this combination would work?

My 2011 has traction control, but does not have a limited slip differential.

Were any of these beasts sold with both?

I'm not super thrilled with how my traction control system works, compared to other vehicles that I own with a limited slip diff, and was considering adding one, but curious how that would interact with the traction control.

Thank you!

2012EL3RDGEN

Reaction score

I'm not super thrilled with how my traction control system works, compared to other vehicles that I own with a limited slip diff, and was considering adding one, but curious how that would interact with the traction control.

Thank you!
I have the same thought. Not super thrilled on traction control.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

mnachreiner86

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not that I’ve seen. When Ford added advance trac as ABS controlled traction control, that’s what the SUVs got. You can hold your traction control down to turn it off, I like that in Auto 4 because it doesn’t kill the momentum and makes it feel like my old 2000 that had a limited slip rear and moved the torque around as it’s needed without cutting in and driving me nuts. In 4x4 your traction control is off anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thunderbirdsport

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Trac control is off by default in low range, not in 4x4 High. As stated you can hold the button in to override it...or can you? It doesn't work in mine. I can hold it in until the cows come and that damned light won't flash.
Several people say that on their Expys they can hold the trac button in till it flashes and then have complete freedom in terms of tire spin. Mine does NOT. It will still slip the tires briefly then cuts power until traction is regained. This is regardless of where the T case selection is. 2H, 4H, 4A...that doesn't matter. Any ideas? LOL

It's more of a "why is it like this" thing, rather than a blinding need to spin my back tires bald. (i need them whole actually, until I decide on a new set of wheels and tires..)

On my 06 Explorer it works though, and with the brown wire mod (more on that in a few) I can absolutely shred the back tires with trac control overridden.

(*brown wire mod; it's a wire on the pass side dash, behind the glove box inside a connector. One can clip this wire and then put a switch in it for manual off or on. It' just disables the x case's front shaft output, bear in mind that the front axles and driveshaft still rotate with the tires...the hubs are still locked. It's mechanically similar to driving around with your manual hubs locked in but case in 2H, only without the binding of course 3/4 or full lock turns. I've done this to my 4.6 Explorer and has been like this for going on a year with no ill effects. I'd dare say the Expedition's T case is very similar if not the same, and these have the knob that of course can be switched from 2H, 4A, 4H, and 4L.)

OP
OP
kythri

kythri

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I thought you just had to hit the button once to turn it off? That's how it seems on my 2011 Limited.

When the icon is not illuminated, TC is on. When it activates, the icon blinks. When it's solid (due to a button press), TC is off, and I can spin the tires on wet pavement. When the icon is off, TC is on, and I can't spin the tires anymore.

OP
OP
kythri

kythri

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah, as I thought.

From the owner's manual:

The AdvanceTrac with RSC system includes a stability control button on the center of the instrument panel, and a stability control light in the instrument cluster. The stability control light in the instrument cluster will illuminate temporarily during start-up as part of a normal system self-check, or during driving if a driving situation causes the AdvanceTrac with RSC system to operate. If the stability control light illuminates steadily, verify that the AdvanceTrac with RSC system is not manually disabled by pressing the stability control button located on the center of the instrument panel. If the stability control light remains steadily illuminated, have the system serviced by an authorized dealer immediately. The message center will also indicate a failure with the AdvanceTrac with RSC system.

Glen B Ashcroft

Reaction score
i have a 2007 EB 4x4, i have repeatedly climbed up 4 wheel drive roads where the rig climbs up steep roads and around corners on 3 wheels, doing this in 4x4 low without touching the advanced trac button, the advance trac kicks in and it just climbs, so my spotter tells me, wish i had pics to share
maybe next time

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Thank you!

When I ordered my 2015 Expedition Limited 4x4, a limited slip differential (in any gear ratio) was not available. The salesman printed me a copy of the Ford ordering guide as proof.

In 2016 or 2017, the limited slip differential became an option on the Expedition - I just don’t remember which year.

I do not understand how the combination would work.