Line in from 3rd row tweeters?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EX-excursion

Reaction score
Hey all... Asking for a little advice - help on the 2015 Expedition. We have the woofer in the rear & premium sound system- all stock. All over this site I see others curing the 3rd row sound problem in different ways. As for me I want to try something a little different, but don't want to blow $$ or start down a road just to find out things aren't what I think they are.

Here's what I'm planning. I want to tap into each rear tweeter set of speaker wires & use each side for a 'line in' to an appropriate relatively SMALL amp. So...to clarify...tap into the right side, run wires to a small amp. Tap into the left side, run wires to the same amp. From there, I'll install a couple of good quality 6X8's or maybe some 6 1/4" round COAXIAL or TRIAXIAL speakers.

Question one: do the wires on the rear tweeters contain 'all the music' (base, mid & high range sound)???

Question two: (wanting to remove as few panels as possible)........can anyone 'target' me to these tweeter wires where they might run very close to some easily accessible area where I might be able to pry a panel corner up, hook them and tap into them?

QUESTION THREE: Also a big deal, I want to put a simple 'on/off' toggle on that damn factory woofer.. Can anyone advise along the same lines? (easiest access to the woofer wires-which exact color wire to put the switch on)

This is all for the kids- the two that ride in the rear seat can only hear that crappy factory woofer- even when I turn the base down as far as possible and keep the volume low. I simply want a couple regular 2 or 3 way speakers back there with maybe 75 watts going to each one. Thanks all....

Last edited:

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
#1...no they don't..tweeters run ur high frequencies so no mid bass and the sound is high vocals...that is a BAD choice to tie in to add speakers...I would tap the rear door speakers

#2...can't help

#3...u will have to remove a lot of panels which contradicts u wanting to remove a lot of panels

To do this right and properly...u have to remove the panels...

Mr. 10K

OP
OP
EX-excursion

EX-excursion

Reaction score
Thanks 10K. That's the biggest deal right there (#1). I was thinking this might be the case (having to tap in to the rear doors).

I swear to God I'm about ready to stick a few screw drivers right into that rear woofer, lol..... I have to get a switch on that thing, so if anyone knows more about that, please holler up!

oblivion

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Heres the stereo wiring for your 2015.

This doesnt list which wires are your power and ground to the factory amp. From what I can tell the stereo is run all off the same amp so turning it off is a no go. My thinking is simply put a relay on each ground with to the sub VC and activate those with the same switch.

Radio 12V gray/red or white/red + radio, 24 pin plug, pin 1
Radio Ground black/blue - radio, 24 pin plug, pin 13
Radio Ignition gray/blue (base radio); (CAN bus, non base radio) + radio, 24 pin plug, pin 2
Radio Illumination blue/white (base radio) + dimmer radio, 24 pin plug, pin 3
Factory Amp Turn-on purple/red + radio, 24 pin plug, pin 7
Power Antenna yellow/orange (except base radio) + radio, 24 pin plug, pin 2
Left Front Speaker (+/-) white - white/brown +,- radio, 24 pin plug, pins 8 - 21 or 22 - 10
On models with amplifier, the speaker wires are white - white/brown (woofer); green/orange - gray/orange (tweeter) at the amplifier in left rear quarter panel, 16 pin plug, pins 2 - 10; 3 - 11.
Right Front Speaker (+/-) white/purple - white/orange +,- radio, 24 pin plug, pins 11 - 12 or 23 - 11
On models with amplifier, the speaker wires are white/purple - white/orange (woofer); purple/orange - yellow/orange (tweeter) at the amplifier in left rear quarter panel, 16 pin plug, pins 6 - 14; 7 - 15.
Left Rear Speaker (+/-) white/green - brown/yellow +,- radio, 24 pin plug, pins 9 - 22 or 21 - 9
On models with amplifier, the speaker wires are white/green - brown/yellow (woofer); green/brown - purple/brown (tweeter) at the amplifier in left rear quarter panel, 16 pin plug, pins 4 - 12; 5 - 13.
Right Rear Speaker (+/-) brown/white - brown/blue +,- radio, 24 pin plug, pins 10 - 23 or 24 - 12
On models with amplifier, the speaker wires are brown/white - brown/blue (woofer); green/brown - purple/brown (tweeter) at the amplifier in left rear quarter panel, 16 pin plug, pins 8 - 16; 5 - 13.
Center Channel (+/-) green - gray/yellow +,- amplifier in left rear quarter panel, 16 pin plug, pins 1 - 9
Subwoofer (+/-) purple/green - green/wht (1); green/pur - gray (2) +,- amplifier in left rear quarter panel, 16 pin plug, pins 1 - 9; 2 - 10
Aux. Audio Input Left (+/-) blue - yellow/green (without SYNC) +,- radio, 24 pin plug, pins 18 - 19
Aux. Audio Input Right (+/-) blue/green - white/green (without SYNC) +,- radio, 24 pin plug, pins 16 - 17
RSE Video (+/-) white/green - brown/purple (rearview camera video) +,- front control/display mod, 12 pin plug, pins 6-12
On models with SYNC 2, the rearview camera video wires are white/green - brown/purple at the SYNC Module/display, 54 pin plug, pins 14 - 15.
RSE Audio Left (+/-) blue - gray/orange (SYNC audio) +,- radio, 26 pin plug, pins 12 - 25
RSE Audio Right (+/-) purple/green - brown/white (SYNC audio) +,- radio, 26 pin plug, pins 13 - 26