List your suspension Mods

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Rancho 4" lift with no other mods other than body modifications. That is allowing me to run 37x12.5's on 16x8 rims (Ultra CLaws). Contemplating a 3" body lift to go with bigger tires, but that is up in the air right now. Contemplating an F-150 going in a completely different direction than my Expy. He he he he he he.

how much did your mileage suffer from it?

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
Panda, in stock trim, my truck was pulling 16-17 mpg on the highway and 13ish in town. After putting the tires on, doing the lift, and regearing to 4.56 gears (which restored the engine RPMs to the same as they were factory for a given speed), the mileage dropped to a consistant 13 mpg regardless of whether I am in town or on the highway.

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
so you did the gears with the tires? or did you put on your tires before the gears. thats just what i want to know is how bad it dropped before gears. if you did that.

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
Panda, I did the tires and gears in different steps per se. I ran around for 5 years on the stock 3.73 gears and 35" (315/75R16) tires. With that, leaving the speedo uncalibrated, my mileage dropped to about 12-13 MPG even after being corrected for the error. After getting the speedo corrected (a VSS gear in my case, but only applicable to 97-98 vehicles), the mileage went up to around 15 MPG on the highway. I then stepped up to 37" tires and did the gears at the same time. So, I have no comparison for you with stock gearing and 37's. I personally would not recommend running that combination. It was hard enough on the truck with the 35's. It really did not like that combination.

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i know i would need that gear. but that little gear made that big of a difference in mileage? why would that be?

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
Panda, keep in mind that the tranny is computer controlled. It wasn't to keep the tranny in a certain gear based on vehicle speed and engine RPM (with some input on throttle position). Because of the vehicle speed being off, the tranny doesn't pick the best gear, therefore you are driving around in too low of a gear, keeping the engine out of the power band, putting it into a less efficient RPM (yes, too low of RPM is just as bad as too high of an RPM). Also, the tranny will not shift at the proper points when going up hills and the engine will tend to bog down.

Chris "Thermo" Coleman, Nukie the radioactive 97 Ford X, and K'Re Ann the 03 Jag X

ZuluBravoTango

Full Access Members
Reaction score
FNG Trying to Get a Rig Built...

3" PA body lift with gap gaurds
3" billet spacers with torsion twist
315/75/16 Nitto Dune Grapplers on 16X8 American Outlaw Buckshots
Poly bushings front and rear

Hello Everyone,
First post here, but I guess I will dive right in.

I have had my Expi for 3 years, and it has served faithfully as a child hauling device... but now I want to use it for more enjoyable pursuits. I am hoping for a decent lift, and the shocks are shot as it stands. I have no desire past 315's or 35"s. I wanted to ask:
KTW, where did you find the 3" billet spacers and 3" torsion keys?
Im having a hard time finding them here in Denver. I was looking at the PA full kit that gives the 3" body lift and their 2" leveling kit with the gap guards.
I am open to any suggestions for this build! :superhack:

Canadian Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
First post here, but I guess I will dive right in.

I have had my Expi for 3 years, and it has served faithfully as a child hauling device... but now I want to use it for more enjoyable pursuits. I am hoping for a decent lift, and the shocks are shot as it stands. I have no desire past 315's or 35"s. I wanted to ask:
KTW, where did you find the 3" billet spacers and 3" torsion keys?
Im having a hard time finding them here in Denver. I was looking at the PA full kit that gives the 3" body lift and their 2" leveling kit with the gap guards.
I am open to any suggestions for this build! :superhack:

PA 3" is a must and I did 2" Keys ,but you can do TT and I did 2" rear spacers http://www.daystarweb.com/
Then slap on the 35" Tires
AS for 3" Keys never heard of them :shrug:

Expeditionary

Full Access Members
Reaction score
And will cost you your first child:jester:

got mine for a steal... $315 each tire lol, bought 2 of them and the Body lift is coming in, in about a week then once the truck is sitting high on 6" of lift ill slap all 4 tires on at once.
All suspension mods are listed in SIG

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M Bennett