Location of Front AC Drain - 2012 EL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mark Buckner

Reaction score
I find lots of info on earlier models including info on a retrofit elbow, but nothing on the 2012 or similar. Anyone have any info on where this is loacafed and what is involved in getting to it on a 2012? Mine is clearly clogged. No water on the ground, plenty in the passenger front carpet!

AGrayson84

Reaction score
I'm not sure of the location on a 2012, but I can tell you that on a 2003-2006 it's impossible to see from the engine as well as the underside of the car. Stuff is in the way everywhere you look. Here is a picture of where it is on a 2005, in case it helps:

2iw2903.jpg

I took this of one in a salvage yard a few weeks ago for my own reference, because my compressor is draining just fine, however it's leaking back into the car. Might be the same problem you're having. By the way, you'll have to pull back the blanket from the firewall to see it. I tore the one in the salvage yard, because who cares haha. I know Ford makes a rubber elbow you can use on the evaporator drain outlet, so the water doesn't roll back into the car. Not sure if they ever started including those from the factory, but if you don't already have one I recommend getting one and trying to install it, because sooner or later that seal between the firewall and the evaporator plenum may stop doing its job like mine did, and the only way to replace that seal is to remove the entire dash, and remove the plenum. You don't want to do that. I removed my plenum entirely recently on my '06 Navigator and it sucked.

Part # for the elbow is: 4M2Z-6A614-AA

Supposedly, on my generation, you can take off the passenger tire and fender liner, and get to the drain outlet from there. I'll be finding out tomorrow or sometime this weekend if that is true.

Sorry I can't give info on a 2013, but all of this may still be applicable to yours.

-Andrew

juan214

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can do it without taking the tire off if you long arms and fit. Just take off the passenger inner fender and get to the drain outlet from there.

Last edited:

AGrayson84

Reaction score
Yep, was able to do it with removing just the wheel/tire and fender liner. I don't have long arms and was able to reach my way in there, undo the firewall blanket push-pin, and pop my 90-degree elbow on just fine. Again, not sure if the same applies to a 2012, but I can't imagine it being any different.