Long Term Ride Quality

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rcompart

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Part of the design intent with these various vehicles is more off-road capability, more passenger capacity, more on-road comfort or more payload and towing capacity and you buy what gives you need most if what you need. I wouldn’t say the Expy has reduced capability vs the F350, just different capabilities. Even if there was such a vehicle as a 2018 SD based Excursion, I’d hands down still choose the Expy because the IRS lends itself to a much smoother ride, more 3rd row passenger head room and it’ll still tow anything I’d ever need to no questions asked.

Spoiledhappywife

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have 1400 miles on mine and have taken it to the mountains. I can say it rides unbelievably smooth. I have the CCD and 22’s. I was always under the impression the bigger the tire the worse the drive would be. We have a 2015 and 2018 F150 Lariat with 20’s and the Expedition just handles unbelievably well. My Explorer Sport was antiquated in comparison regarding the quality of the ride. While I understand the improvements over the years it is simply mind blowing. My fuel economy and ride quality far outweigh my Explorer Sport.

I’ll report more as the mileage racks up. But I am completely in love with my Expedition and wouldn’t change anything on it.

OP
OP
dlcorbett

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Does anyone have any input on how my18 models rides in relation to its competitors?

rcompart

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've driven both on the same routes and I felt the ride quality was the same between the two. That being said, the seats in my new Expedition are incredibly comfortable and a very large step above what was in both predecessors but the seats in the new Navigator are ridiculously comfortable when you take the time to play around with every adjustment and really dial them in. The easiest way to describe both of these vehicles is that Ford actually tried this time to impress people with their vehicles and I'd have to say they've succeeded!

Kevink109

Reaction score
Does anyone have any input on how my18 models rides in relation to its competitors?

I have the 2018max FX4- compared to our old 2009 Escalade ESV with magnetic ride shocks the Expy is light years better.

I never thought the Escalade rode well- I even went as far as changing out the 22s for 18 wheels -this helped but not enough.

That being said I did compare my 18 max FX4 w/ a 18 Limited max w/ CCD and 22" wheels- I do think the limited had a better ride. Its been awhile so its difficult to remember - bit thats my impression.

gtnator

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the 2018max FX4- compared to our old 2009 Escalade ESV with magnetic ride shocks the Expy is light years better.

I never thought the Escalade rode well- I even went as far as changing out the 22s for 18 wheels -this helped but not enough.

That being said I did compare my 18 max FX4 w/ a 18 Limited max w/ CCD and 22" wheels- I do think the limited had a better ride. Its been awhile so its difficult to remember - bit thats my impression.

Thanks! Some good reference points.

eddiemoney

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2010, 120k, EL, 4x4

Daily around to kids events and many 1000+ mile trips across the country on 22" wheels / tires. Never had any issue with comfort.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Part of the design intent with these various vehicles is more off-road capability, more passenger capacity, more on-road comfort or more payload and towing capacity and you buy what gives you need most if what you need. I wouldn’t say the Expy has reduced capability vs the F350, just different capabilities. Even if there was such a vehicle as a 2018 SD based Excursion, I’d hands down still choose the Expy because the IRS lends itself to a much smoother ride, more 3rd row passenger head room and it’ll still tow anything I’d ever need to no questions asked.

Good points. One thing our trucks do have a problem with no matter what we do is offroad performance.... and it’s whole issue is the IRS, the arms come too low and they jab into the mud, where a Tahoe will just drive right through with it’s solid rear axle. Luckily the fords 4WD system is pretty good to balance it out. I’d still buy the expy all over again with a solid axle I’d actully prefer it.

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ive noticed the ride quality in my 17 Limited EL feels as if it has degraded some. I'm not sure if its because of the load leveling shocks or what but if its empty in the back you can feel every little bump. Add a couple hundred pounds back there and it feels much better. Ive gone as far as running my tire pressures a little lower to see if that helps with the ride