looking at a 15 EL XLT. engine sounds?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
S

sjwelds

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Would you give $21k for it, plus taxes and fees etc?

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is not a good sounding engine...I wouldn’t give them 10 grand for that truck sounding like that lol. That sounds like the timing chain rattle/ possible piston skirt issue or something. She is LOUD. Other than that interior and exterior are good shape.....but that sound is a huge red flag, possibly why it was traded in? I’d keep looking. The EcoBoosts are pretty quiet in my experience besides a light tick from the HPFP.

Last edited:

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’d have a tough time buying a soda pop out of their vending machine with that “just serviced” comment at the beginning of the video and the motor sounding like that.

I’d offer them 10k and get a Livernois pro shortblock, upgraded turbos, a tune, and run that.
But I bet the won’t take 10k.

Cyclone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'd say go to a every used car dealer in your comfortable driving range, and listen to other 3.5L ecoboost engines. Preferably the same year as that one. Note the engine noise. Use autotrader/cargurus to find dealers that are nearby that have Expeditions on the lot.

I will say that Black XTL EL looks exactly like mine, and I've seen a ton of them on the road too. My guess is that this was a very popular fleet/rental model that are now flooding the market. So if you like this one, chances are there are a dozen more for you out there.

OP
OP
S

sjwelds

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'd say go to a every used car dealer in your comfortable driving range, and listen to other 3.5L ecoboost engines. Preferably the same year as that one. Note the engine noise. Use autotrader/cargurus to find dealers that are nearby that have Expeditions on the lot.

I will say that Black XTL EL looks exactly like mine, and I've seen a ton of them on the road too. My guess is that this was a very popular fleet/rental model that are now flooding the market. So if you like this one, chances are there are a dozen more for you out there.

Exactly right. Just was commenting to my wife about how there seemed to be either black or white when it came to Expeditions. And even more black than white.

I will say this for that particular dealership: they aren't pushy or evasive about these things. I emailed the salesman back and told him that I thought the engine noise was excessive etc, and I was gonna pass on this one, and he did not try to convince me otherwise. I can appreciate that.

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It definitely sounds terrible. I know several people w the 3.5 and none of them sound remotely like that. Good call on passing it up.

Dealers are crazy what they think they can get out of some of these vehicles. While looking before I picked up my 03 I drove about 50mi to go see a '11 EL Limited w 140k for 11k. I get there, half the electrical doesn't power up...no seats, radio, rear ac/radio controls. Overhead video had been removed and sunroof didnt close properly. I drove it anyway so I knew how a poor vehicle would present itself while I continued the search. When I handed the keys back I think they could sense me holding back laughing at them for even offering it for sale and asked if I wanted to make an offer. I laughed, said 5k. It needs an unknown number of hours of electrical diagnostics plus whatever parts oh and probably a new sunroof, btw did you know someone stole the video unit and broke the screens in the headrest too and then was nice enough to lock it back up for ya? Lady told me to get out. Lol. I had cruised around and sat in the ac in their vehicle while shopping for other cars and ended up finding my current vehicle in the process. I dont feel bad because it was grossly misrepresented. It's still being advertised nearly 9 months later for the same price.